Nc29 low charge problem *fixed*

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
Davez29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC29 forever
Nc29 low charge problem *fixed*

Post by Davez29 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:20 pm

Hi

This is just a quick word about a recent problem i have had and its surprising fix

It started with the battery not charging. Now going back a few years i had the usual problems with rectifier and stator.. i changed both and everything has been fine.

Last week i stopped at a set of lights and the bike just stalled. Starting the bike, I then noticed my battery charge light i fitted was just glowing a lovely shade of red. It would normally go orange then green..

Thinking bugger, looks like my rectifier may have gone. I changed it.. still the same.. So onward to the stator.. all seemed fine AC wise.. but there seemed to be a slight grounding somewhere, so more money spent and changed it..

No real difference although grounding gone, it struggled to even reach 13.5.. and was intermittent. So my mate got involved and looked around for an answer. We tried omitting the stator plug and soldered the wires.. no change. Checked all earths, these seemed fine.

My mate decided to look at the starter solenoid.. i didn't think it could be that as the starter is powerful but he was not so sure. I had a spare anyway so we changed it.

The difference was dramatic.. it worked brilliantly.. im now getting a better charge than ever and it stops at 14.5 even with all my lights on.. unbelievable.. but it works.

Thanks to my mate Steve.