Cbr400 NC29 clutch

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
slyshot
Settled in member
Reactions:
Cbr400 NC29 clutch

Post by slyshot » Wed May 02, 2018 11:44 am

Morning Everyone

Picked up a second hand motor and when fitting the new clutch cable i couldnt get it to engage properly, it was like the new cable was to long, its a slinky glide from Wemoto.

Measured it against the original and all seems fine.

Went over to the old motor which i know has a fully working clutch and noticed the actuating arm is stiff from pretty much the get go until it pulls 90degrees with the motor being full release. Now on the new motor that movement i can do easily with my little finger so the clutch is clearly not being released so something is amiss on the inside.

luckily i can pull the one out of the old motor to compare and replace any parts but just wondering if anyone has come across this before or had their clutch go on them in this way so i can keep an eye out for anything in particular?

gotta get this sorted before the Cadwell day, hopefully see some of you guys there!

Thanks

Sam

CB1pod70
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Re: Cbr400 NC29 clutch

Post by CB1pod70 » Thu May 03, 2018 9:47 am

I would pull the clutch cover off and have a look in there as something is definitely broken or missing.
From what you're describing it sounds like the release bearing is missing / knackered or the pushrod mushroom is missing. The clutch arm should be almost impossible to move by hand

If you need any help, post up a photo of the internals once you remove the cover and I'm sure one of us will spot the problem

slyshot
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by slyshot » Fri May 04, 2018 11:45 am

lovely cheers bud, got the clutch cover off and the pushrod and bearing plate are all intact, however, I haven't had one of these off before so I don't know what correct should look like just that all the parts match up as per the Haynes manual.

Waiting for my clutch basket holder to arrive so I can whip it all out.

Going to take the cover off the spare motor to compare, something might be really obvious then. If so mi just going to slap the whole clutch unit from the spare motor in as i know its a good one.

will update after this weekend, thanks for the reply

slyshot
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by slyshot » Tue May 08, 2018 8:52 am

So got the old clutch out, upon initial inspection I cant see anything wildy missing or out of place. I simply took the clutch out of my old motor, measured the plates and slapped it in and all is well again.

I'll have to have a look through the old one just for curiosities sake and see if I an figure it out.

now to strap the whole bike back together and make sure this new motor works....not many weekend till Cadwell now :-)