NC29 erratic idle and misfire

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
just4kicks
Settled in member
Reactions:
Re: NC29 erratic idle and misfire

Post by just4kicks » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:17 pm

solim wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:53 pm
I had that problem a while ago and was very frustrated about this. Was thinking of selling the NC29 L reg.

However, I didn't give up. Firstly, I orderd a compete carb seal kit from LiteTek:
http://litetek.co/Carb_Kit_Honda_CBR400RR_NC29.html

Then I stripped the carbs and cleaned them ultrasonically. Jets also. After that I put the new seals and assembled the carbs.

After that I changed the ignition to stick coils. I ordered coils and wire harness from cbr600rr '07 on ebay and wired coils 1+4 in series and coils 2+3 in series. I connected them to original three round ignition wires plugs: one end of 1+4 and 2+3 is for 12V and go together on black/white original wire, other end of 1+4 goes on yellow/blue, and other end of 2+3 goes on blue/yellow.

The bike started immediately. I balanced the carbs and now the bike idles and fires perfectly. It also starts faster because of higher spark voltage. Besides that, I got rid of that bulky ignition coils, HT leads and coil stay, which made space for HRC ram air... :grin:
Is this conversion possible on a Nc23 CBR400 J model?

solim
Settled in member
Reactions:
Re: NC29 erratic idle and misfire

Post by solim » Mon May 14, 2018 8:09 pm

just4kicks wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:17 pm
solim wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:53 pm
I had that problem a while ago and was very frustrated about this. Was thinking of selling the NC29 L reg.

However, I didn't give up. Firstly, I orderd a compete carb seal kit from LiteTek:
http://litetek.co/Carb_Kit_Honda_CBR400RR_NC29.html

Then I stripped the carbs and cleaned them ultrasonically. Jets also. After that I put the new seals and assembled the carbs.

After that I changed the ignition to stick coils. I ordered coils and wire harness from cbr600rr '07 on ebay and wired coils 1+4 in series and coils 2+3 in series. I connected them to original three round ignition wires plugs: one end of 1+4 and 2+3 is for 12V and go together on black/white original wire, other end of 1+4 goes on yellow/blue, and other end of 2+3 goes on blue/yellow.

The bike started immediately. I balanced the carbs and now the bike idles and fires perfectly. It also starts faster because of higher spark voltage. Besides that, I got rid of that bulky ignition coils, HT leads and coil stay, which made space for HRC ram air... :grin:
Is this conversion possible on a Nc23 CBR400 J model?
Yes it is. The ignition is the same on J, K and L models.