De restriction/wiring loom question...

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
spritz46
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC23, SRX long term project
De restriction/wiring loom question...

Post by spritz46 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:03 am

Morning all...

So having purchased my CBR 400 rrk a year ago, family and health circumstance have meant she's had a few hours on her here and there and then stored until last week. Now the plan picks up in earnest!!!

So getting back to de restriction I was going to go resistor mod as in the workshop files section. Thank you to whoever has done that. However I have aslo found the method of removing the metal plate from inside the speedo as another option I was going to look at. Starting to move the clock last night I have found the wiring to be a bit off with what I expected to find. On the resistor guide it looks like a plug into the back of the speedo with 4 wires. Leave that disconnected and add the resistor to the orange/blue wire and then to the black brown end.

So I get I only need to do one resistor at one end (either speedo or CDi end) but the wiring to the plug at the speedo seems to have three wires in the plug which are the green and the brown/black cable mentioned in the guide to leave unconnected in the plug. Here's what's confusing me though, then the blue/ orange is on a bullet terminal as well as another brown/black cable which is also on a bullet terminal and a red/brown wire which is again on a bullet terminal. The three terminated wires outside the plug were connected as the blue orange to the terminal coming from back if speedo and the brown/black and red/brown cables just hanging loose.

Is the resistor mod in this case just going to mean the resistor bulleted between the orange/blue cable and the brown/black cables which are separate to the black plug with the three cables in or from what peeps can make out do I have some rather bodged wiring loom which needs a lot more investigation?

If anyone with a 23 rrj or rrk can take a snap I'd be eternally grateful, I'm trying to add my picture but mobile won't allow for some reason so I'll try from desktop and add later.

Any help would be grand as I'm hoping to tackle this later while the rain is making me determined to get out on it at the next available sun!

Cheers to all

Matt

spritz46
Settled in member
Reactions:
Re: De restriction/wiring loom question...

Post by spritz46 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:14 am

So that's the loom at the back of the speedo on mine...

As you can hopefully see, black block connector with green and brown/black cables as expected seen at green arrow.

Orange arrow is the bulleted orange/blue and brown/black I am hoping is where the resistor plugs between

Blue is the random red/brown bulleted cable which was hanging loose with the brown/black bulleted cable when I got the bike.

So hope that adds some more clues, eagerly await the responses.

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spritz46
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by spritz46 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:43 pm

Sorry, just to add... it's an RRJ not RRK as mentioned in original post.

Yakama
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC23s, 29, 30s, MC16

Post by Yakama » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:41 pm

An rrj shouldn't be restricted, it's should have a gold label cdi

An rrk would be and would have a blue label cdi

spritz46
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by spritz46 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:54 pm

Cheers Yakama,

Hmm seems a weird one...

Engine numbers are 102.... which indicates a J and it's registered as such however it's definitely a blue labelled CDi.

Any further thoughts?

Yakama
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Yakama » Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:48 pm

Possible it's had an engine change then? What does frame number suggest j or k?

spritz46
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by spritz46 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:27 pm

Yakama wrote:Possible it's had an engine change then? What does frame number suggest j or k?
Is there a break down of chassis number designations? Know the engine ones just not frame and will be able to check tomorrow when I get back in the garage.

It's possible, no history with this basket case so it's definitely a possibility.

Carbs and engine are both 23 RRJ codes so presume I'm working to RRJ specs bar the restriction.

Annoying!

Hopefully more light will come. Thank for all the help Yahama, legend.

Yakama
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Yakama » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:03 pm

spritz46
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by spritz46 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:27 pm

Right, now I really don't know where this leaves me...

Frame is indeed a 109 so indeed a K frame...

J engine
J carbs

K wiring loom or at least presuming as it's a blue label CDi as the picture attached shows.

Sorry for the ignorance here but what does this mean for me?

Is it going to be a pig to get this up and running and ideally need a K engine and carb set or can the amalgamation work? Hoping it's the later but any info would be great.

Main points are will the loom and engine interchange as is?

And

Do I need to derestrict as the restriction is CDi and not engine based right?

Thanks Yakama, really helped me so far as hadn't occurred it could be a real mishmash.

spritz46
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by spritz46 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:42 pm

CDI which is currently on the bike, yellow label one on the list once a decent base bike has been resurrected. Think if derestriction is needed the resistor mod will suffice till the upgrade aspects begin but need to get her running again first.