I want much better/brighter headlights for CBR 400 NC29

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
Bowches
Familiar Member
Reactions:
Bike owned: cbr 400 zxr 400 gsx 1300r
I want much better/brighter headlights for CBR 400 NC29

Post by Bowches » Sat Jun 10, 2017 4:35 pm

Hi everyone....can someone please help me in my quest to find some good quality HID lights or any solution to the problem of having these rubbish stock bulbs on the CBR 400. The headlights at night are absolutely poor and I cannot see far ahead, sometimes I'm having to switch to High beam in order to see a bit FURTHER.

I bought these HID KIT H4 HEadlight set from Ebay but they seem to be getting really hot and I have heard from a few people that its best to avoid HID as they will ruin my rectifier and generator or wiring loom.

Maybe then I can buy those tiny little Neon lights that i see people put on their bike forks for more lighting on the road at night.

Here is link/picture with the HID lights

https://postimg.org/image/o5e0myuwp/

Davez29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC29 forever
Re: I want much better/brighter headlights for CBR 400 NC29

Post by Davez29 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:49 pm

Do a search in the forum and you will find info for using higher wattage bulbs. It involves a bit of wire work and a relay. Not too hard and even easier if you have a 29 that can turn its lights off via the switch. This will enable you to use standard H4 bulbs. For instance i use Philips Xtreme + 120%. Really if you dont find them bright enough you may need to eat more carrots.

I know the standard low beam is a bit pathetic on those dark country roads which i have travelled down many a time wishing for something better. Funny enough high beam is brilliant on the standard set up.

Bowches
Familiar Member
Reactions:

Post by Bowches » Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:37 pm

Davez29 wrote:Do a search in the forum and you will find info for using higher wattage bulbs. It involves a bit of wire work and a relay. Not too hard and even easier if you have a 29 that can turn its lights off via the switch. This will enable you to use standard H4 bulbs. For instance i use Philips Xtreme + 120%. Really if you dont find them bright enough you may need to eat more carrots.

I know the standard low beam is a bit pathetic on those dark country roads which i have travelled down many a time wishing for something better. Funny enough high beam is brilliant on the standard set up.

i GOT 55W bulbs but when I tried these HID Bulbs MAN!!! THEY WERE NICE.

YES HIGH BEAM IS ACTUALLY REALLY GOOD! but C'MON man....High beam blinds people on the other side

Davez29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC29 forever

Post by Davez29 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:01 am

Yes i tried HIDs at one time but honestly although they were bright as a got them in the proper colour temp, not those stupid blue ones. I found there was far too much light spillage onto everything around me, possibly blinding other road users, similar to using your high beam, so off they came.

Using a high beam in the correct conditions is the best bet, dipping as needed for oncoming traffic. No use in the city 99% of the time but great on lonely dark roads.

Also worth noting, Philips Xtreme are MOT friendly unlike HIDs.

Bowches
Familiar Member
Reactions:

Post by Bowches » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:02 pm

Davez29 wrote:Yes i tried HIDs at one time but honestly although they were bright as a got them in the proper colour temp, not those stupid blue ones. I found there was far too much light spillage onto everything around me, possibly blinding other road users, similar to using your high beam, so off they came.

Using a high beam in the correct conditions is the best bet, dipping as needed for oncoming traffic. No use in the city 99% of the time but great on lonely dark roads.

Also worth noting, Philips Xtreme are MOT friendly unlike HIDs.

Do you want to meet up anytime soon?

I already went all the way to Shrewsbury, Raven Lynn's cafe....about 170 miles each way....to meet a Former NC29 owner, i'm sure you have seen his channel, it is called NC29Biker on youtube

Would you like to meet up