Clutch tip for Haynes users-newbies

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
Davez29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC29 forever
Clutch tip for Haynes users-newbies

Post by Davez29 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:27 am

Hi, I know that many here will have done clutch changes but im sure some will be thinking of doing this for the first time. Im with the latter and have just done my first clutch plate change.

So while its fresh in my mind I will give a couple of tips for cbr owners who would welcome this and a laugh for those in the know.

Following the Haynes for removal is pretty straight forward. One thing I had difficulty with is loosing that centre nut. With having no special tool and on the side stand I tried keeping the bike in gear and pressing the rear brake, all that achieved was a spring effect while the chain loaded up and the bike trying to move forward. With a second person on the brake and me concentrating on the damn nut the same was happening.

What we ended up doing was the second person actually lay across the back seat adding weight to the bike while pressing the rear brake with his hand, this extra weight enabled me to crack the nut off in seconds. Worth doing first if your unsure but remember to open the chiseled part on the nut first.

When you come to put a new nut on use the same method and it will torque up no problem.

The better tip I can give is when following the Haynes about adding friction and steel plates is dont do it the way they say, honestly i was on ninety minutes and going no where as i just could not keep them in place and wiggle the centre part of the basket on to the centre spline, it seemed impossible and my bent legs were giving up on me by that time.

I actually done the obvious, although it took me a while before the penny clicked. I fit the plates on to the inner part of the basket with the groves and added the rear plate. This gave a semi sealed unit I could slip into the basket without the hassle of everything not lining up.

Now it is possible to fit it this way but I added one more thing to temporarily keep everything together for an easier fit, I found a small piece of flat plate with a hole in it and used one of the bolts from the four posts, this allowed me to add a small clamp finger tightened to a post across the outer part to keep the back from dropping off while fitting it. Then its easier to slip into the outer basket and onto the centre spline as your concentration can be kept to this main part.

If you have the bike on a Abba stand by then you can rock the back wheel very lightly to help with centering the spline onto the basket, it should just push on with a push or two.

Finally remove the temporary flat plate and spin the centre nut on. That method literally took 5 minutes to do.

Feel happy again.

Bowches
Familiar Member
Reactions:
Bike owned: cbr 400 zxr 400 gsx 1300r
Re: Clutch tip for Haynes users-newbies

Post by Bowches » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:16 pm

hI dAVEZ29

I will change my clutch soon.....but how often should you be changing your clutch on the CBR?

Thanks

Davez29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC29 forever

Post by Davez29 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:47 pm

Bowches wrote:hI dAVEZ29

I will change my clutch soon.....but how often should you be changing your clutch on the CBR?

Thanks
I dont think there is a time frame on when you should change a clutch. for me it was just down to the bite point getting further and further out. I did buy on OEM cable to be sure and while I had not changed clutch plates before I have adjusted cables many times so know it was not anything there. I will know in a few weeks when my bike gets back on the road. It is easy to do the clutch plates following Haynes manual but try my tip above for adding the new plates, it was faster and easier than trying the Haynes way.

cbr400rrn
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC29 CBR600F

Post by cbr400rrn » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:29 pm

Another tip is buy a Clarke impact gun/driver (not to expensive from machine mart, woah well it wasn't when I got mine but seems to have rocketed in price in the past 2 years,) centre nut is undone easily and tightened back up no problem. Do not try and reuse the old nut

Bowches
Familiar Member
Reactions:
Bike owned: cbr 400 zxr 400 gsx 1300r

Post by Bowches » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:21 am

ok everyone thanks for the info....... :peace: