Electrical Issue

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
Bowches
Familiar Member
Reactions:
Bike owned: cbr 400 zxr 400 gsx 1300r
Re: Electrical Issue

Post by Bowches » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:09 am

CB1pod70 wrote:Hello Bowches - send me a PM with your address. I live in Gravesend so need to know how far away you are from me.

To repeat what DaveZ29 said, you don't need this tool mentioned in your post unless the rotor is damaged (which is very unlikely) http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-Alterna ... xycmBS-TaX

Don't use instant gasket on the cover, just spend the £14 and buy the proper gasket. Instant Gasket is horrible stuff. http://www.wemoto.com/bikes/honda/cbr_4 ... _part_oem/

You will need the correct tool to crimp the wires though but I can bring mine
Hi gravesend

I'm living near Edgware station in North london. cOME there and I will meet you there as BIKE THEFT IS HIGH, so I dont want to give out my address. My phone number is 07445272748.

INSTANT GASKET IS HORRIBLE IS IT?? Thats the problem with doing something the first time, you can make mistakes.

I DID MY FORK SEAL TWO MONTHS AGO, DISASSEMBLED THE FORKS AND COMPLETELY PERFECT and no oil leak!

But this electrical stuff seems a bit tricky. Thanks for the links.....when can you come?

I will pay for your petrol

Bowches
Familiar Member
Reactions:

Post by Bowches » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:26 am

CB1pod70
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by CB1pod70 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:18 pm

Sorry Bowches, You're the opposite side of London from me so a bit further than I would want to travel (I was hoping you were east London).
The job is fairly easy so I'll text you my number and then if you need any help, you can give me a call - hope that helps

Otherwise if you have a van, you're welcome to bring the bike to me

Bowches
Familiar Member
Reactions:

Post by Bowches » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:18 pm

CB1pod70 wrote:Sorry Bowches, You're the opposite side of London from me so a bit further than I would want to travel (I was hoping you were east London).
The job is fairly easy so I'll text you my number and then if you need any help, you can give me a call - hope that helps

Otherwise if you have a van, you're welcome to bring the bike to me
ok...the most likely option is I will have to try it myself. Is it really that bad to use instant gasket sealant, i'm sure its ok. I'm low on money and therefore this is the problem with buying the Honda Clutch gasket cover from wemoto.

I get paid at the end of month or I might get paid this Thursday hopefully...that is the issue

CB1pod70
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by CB1pod70 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:24 pm

the problem with instant gasket is that if you don't put enough on, it will leak oil. If you put too much on, then the extra will squeeze into the engine and can break off and block oil passage ways causing damage to the engine which is worse.

If you must use instant gasket make sure that it is applied to the middle of the casing and use a thin bead, maximum 1.5mm - 2mm in diameter. Most people put too much on

Davez29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC29 forever

Post by Davez29 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:33 pm

Hi, about the rectifier, im not sure which model it was now, but it was for an R1.

Sadly i was fixated on R1 rectifiers at the time as that is what was recommended and it was only after i bought it i realised they did a cbr900 mosfet version which would be a better fit as i had to do some serious filing on the fins to make the R1 rectifier fit under the cowling and it only fits with one bolt. Lucky it still runs cool.

I guess you could ask Electrex world for the mosfet for early cbr900 which i know they did back then. You will need the one with 5 wires, three yellows and red and green wires, it will be expensive though, around £100.

I see money is tight but you are better of with a proper gasket. Also watch you dont lose the two locating pins in the casing, the may be stuck in the casing or engine side, or may simply fall out.

If your unsure on the crimping maybe ask a local auto eleccy if they can do it, just take the bits to him say sir and smile a lot :grin:

Bowches
Familiar Member
Reactions:

Post by Bowches » Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:19 pm

Davez29 wrote:Hi, about the rectifier, im not sure which model it was now, but it was for an R1.

Sadly i was fixated on R1 rectifiers at the time as that is what was recommended and it was only after i bought it i realised they did a cbr900 mosfet version which would be a better fit as i had to do some serious filing on the fins to make the R1 rectifier fit under the cowling and it only fits with one bolt. Lucky it still runs cool.

I guess you could ask Electrex world for the mosfet for early cbr900 which i know they did back then. You will need the one with 5 wires, three yellows and red and green wires, it will be expensive though, around £100.

I see money is tight but you are better of with a proper gasket. Also watch you dont lose the two locating pins in the casing, the may be stuck in the casing or engine side, or may simply fall out.

If your unsure on the crimping maybe ask a local auto eleccy if they can do it, just take the bits to him say sir and smile a lot :grin:

"Say sir and smile alot" joker....you taking the piss haha.

I did the fork oil seals in January its been great so far, no problems.

This again is something I havent done before so I'm being careful.

Bowches
Familiar Member
Reactions:

Post by Bowches » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:47 pm

Davez29 wrote:Hi, about the rectifier, im not sure which model it was now, but it was for an R1.

GREAT NEWS! Got a friend to fix the new altenator! Works great, my lithium ion battery when I press the test button shows three blue lights which means HIGH battery.

The previous alternator had a black burnt out part on the coils. IT WAS FRIED AND SMELT OF BURNT SHIT!.

The neutral light is much brighter and at low revs the bike is responding alot better now.

I sincerely hope that I will not get any more electrical problems again.

I will attach a picture of the BURNT ALTERNATOR....

Bowches
Familiar Member
Reactions:

Post by Bowches » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:47 am

Davez29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC29 forever

Post by Davez29 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:52 am

Excellent news, im glad you got it sorted, all a bit sudden after trying for the last coyple of weeks. I told you it was not too hard and probably easier than doing the forks. No fear next time.

I note you live in London, was wondering if you meet up with the Ride3 lads as they seem to frequent the arty underpass you take pictures at?