Electrical Issue

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
Bowches
Familiar Member
Reactions:
Bike owned: cbr 400 zxr 400 gsx 1300r
Re: Electrical Issue

Post by Bowches » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:36 pm

hey are you James the guy with Grey VFR 400....that I met at Ace cafe???

We need to discuss this issue man please...

dunkenb
Reactions:
Bike owned: Cbr400rr nc29 type8 NSR250

Post by dunkenb » Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:05 am

Defo sounds like the alternator is fried. It shows in the Haynes manual how to test it. :o

Bowches
Familiar Member
Reactions:

Post by Bowches » Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:12 pm

I did the Haynes manual test and revved the cbr to 3000 rpm and it showed 12.7 V. This time the battery just goes dead after 15 mins in the DAY TIME WITH LIGHTS OFF!

Now is there anyone who can help me on how to fit this alternator?

I have actually had this alternator for a few months because I knew there was something wrong with the alternator. I bought a new Honda rectifier on ebay for 54 pounds in January 2017.

Can anyone help with fitting an alternator to a cbr 400

Davez29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC29 forever

Post by Davez29 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:09 am

Its not a hard job, you may have to take your oil out. So fairing off, then clutch cable holder off at the casing side, clutch casing off, watch you dont lose the small push rod in the casing. Now unbolt the alternator from the casing, three bolts.

To replace it, bolt it on using some thread lock then following the original wiring, some fresh high temp sealant on the rubber insert and plug it in where the original was under the seat. You will need a new gasket for the casing.

Remember about the clutch pushrod as it could fall out of the casing, turn the clutch lever on the casing and it should drop into place. Look for any burnt wiring while your at it as it could have a bearing. The Haynes will give a better insight but it is easy. Remember to put your oil back and check your clutch.

CB1pod70
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by CB1pod70 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:31 pm

Where in the country are you? I'm guessing London area. If you really need a hand, let me know as I'm in Gravesend.

You will need to remove the Right hand cover and will probably need a new gasket so get one of those ordered before you start.

If you put the bike on it's side stand when removing the cover, then the amount of oil that will be lost is minimal

Bowches
Familiar Member
Reactions:

Post by Bowches » Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:27 pm

CB1pod70 wrote:Where in the country are you? I'm guessing London area. If you really need a hand, let me know as I'm in Gravesend.

You will need to remove the Right hand cover and will probably need a new gasket so get one of those ordered before you start.

If you put the bike on it's side stand when removing the cover, then the amount of oil that will be lost is minimal

Thanks alot Gravesend. I was really dissapointed when it happened I was coming back from Central London and suddenly in the slow traffic the power just cut off and the whole bike shut down. I pushed it to the side and there was absolutely no battery at about 2pm with NO LIGHTS BEING USED, nothing. Then went to a pub and charged the battery and rushed home.

I thought the stator was on the left side, but It is on the right side then reading the haynes manual. I located the alternator wiring connector under the seat which was good.

Thank you I will need your help possibly Gravesend to learn how to connect or crimp the wires into the small metal parts. CHeck the photo link.

https://postimg.org/image/fnoab1q51/

This will be the first time I am doing it.

Also I have ordered this rotor tool on Ebay. Is this the right tool, just to be 100% correct

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-Alterna ... xycmBS-TaX

Finally I ordered some instant Gasket

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Granville-CLE ... SwZ8ZW1jgS

Bowches
Familiar Member
Reactions:

Post by Bowches » Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:32 pm

My brother came from Bulgaria for a 10 day holiday here in London...and god I'm disappointed, the sun is shining and to go to Ace cafe we had to use the BUS and TRAIN.

GOD PUBLIC TRANSPORT IS EXPENSIVE

We stuck at home now, with nothing to do...bored until this is fixed. Hopefully I can get it done in the next two days so we can go plenty of places before he leaves on Monday 17 April.

Davez29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC29 forever

Post by Davez29 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:16 pm

Hi, unless you need the rotor off that tool is not needed just to change the alternator windings on the clutch cover.

Also, when i had similar problems i was never sure what it was and ended up changing the alternator and reg but i also changed the pulse coils on the other side. Just to be sure.

Bowches
Familiar Member
Reactions:

Post by Bowches » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:58 am

Davez29 wrote:Hi, unless you need the rotor off that tool is not needed just to change the alternator windings on the clutch cover.

Also, when i had similar problems i was never sure what it was and ended up changing the alternator and reg but i also changed the pulse coils on the other side. Just to be sure.

Hi davez29

Thanks for the advice as always. Sorry but could you send me a link of the Mosefet rectifier you were talking about, I'm not sure which one it is on Electrex world website.

Thanks

CB1pod70
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by CB1pod70 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:14 am

Hello Bowches - send me a PM with your address. I live in Gravesend so need to know how far away you are from me.

To repeat what DaveZ29 said, you don't need this tool mentioned in your post unless the rotor is damaged (which is very unlikely) http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-Alterna ... xycmBS-TaX

Don't use instant gasket on the cover, just spend the £14 and buy the proper gasket. Instant Gasket is horrible stuff. http://www.wemoto.com/bikes/honda/cbr_4 ... _part_oem/

You will need the correct tool to crimp the wires though but I can bring mine