Not sure if my fork or bottom yoke is out of plac. HELP!

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
Davez29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC29 forever
Re: Not sure if my fork or bottom yoke is out of plac. HELP!

Post by Davez29 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:09 am

Wise words from the last two posters. I was wondering how your bike got like this as you seemed to be riding around fine?

Bowches
Familiar Member
Reactions:
Bike owned: cbr 400 zxr 400 gsx 1300r

Post by Bowches » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:30 am

Davez29 wrote:Wise words from the last two posters. I was wondering how your bike got like this as you seemed to be riding around fine?
The steering was not straight when I bought the bike in the beginning.

What I have done now, by buying a new bottom yoke, it looks like its going to be a lot more straight

Bowches
Familiar Member
Reactions:

Post by Bowches » Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:26 pm

YES everything is back on....and is pretty much straight now....the new bottom yokes did the job well, the old ones were slightly twisted forward on the left clamp.

moforockband
Familiar Member
Reactions:
Bike owned: GK73a SP CRM250 mk3

Post by moforockband » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:34 am

Honda frames are usually pretty strong. I somersaulted my NC30 at the thruxton chicane many moons ago, and it survived ok. Check along the welds on the headstock for any cracking for your own safety. Check your lockstops also, this will tell you how much force has been applied sideways to the headstock.
Generally the weaker the lower yoke, the less chance there is of frame damage.

Bowches
Familiar Member
Reactions:

Post by Bowches » Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:17 pm

moforockband wrote:Honda frames are usually pretty strong. I somersaulted my NC30 at the thruxton chicane many moons ago, and it survived ok. Check along the welds on the headstock for any cracking for your own safety. Check your lockstops also, this will tell you how much force has been applied sideways to the headstock.
Generally the weaker the lower yoke, the less chance there is of frame damage.

Hi all,

Thanks for the info moforockband. My steering has gone to towards the right again! F sake....I have to see what happened. I dropped the bike slightly when parking it while pushing it by walking....maybe that has caused it, I dont know...I have to remove the bottom yoke again and see whats wrong. F sake

moforockband
Familiar Member
Reactions:
Bike owned: GK73a SP CRM250 mk3

Post by moforockband » Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:30 pm

An easy way to check if it is the yokes and not the frame, is to torque the legs into the yokes, then remove the top yoke, put the bike back on its front wheel, and test fit the top yoke onto the bike. If it does not line up, you know it is a yoke problem and not the frame. Otherwise you are guessing.
The lower yoke should present the legs dead straight up to the top yoke. To test if the legs are bent, put the bike back on the front stand, and spin the leg 180 degrees, and check if the leg is in the exact same position in the top yoke. Good enough for us boys to check for straightness.
Remember breakers and ebay doesn't guarantee you a straight set of yokes, the bike has been broken for a reason.

Good luck with it, Nick.