Not sure if my fork or bottom yoke is out of plac. HELP!

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
Davez29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC29 forever
Re: Not sure if my fork or bottom yoke is out of plac. HELP!

Post by Davez29 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:50 pm

I should add, if you do remove the yoke and stem and find you do have a bent yoke, it is possible to get the stem removed but i think an easier option would be to find a decent stem with bottom yoke attached. You are also better off replacing bearings if doing this i think.

Bowches
Familiar Member
Reactions:
Bike owned: cbr 400 zxr 400 gsx 1300r

Post by Bowches » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:30 pm

Gods Sake! I was going to buy this nice Stanchion/ Fork tube (reflective part) on Ebay for sale. A couple of days ago it was selling for 65 pounds, and now its gone back up to 129! DAM IT!! MISSED THE REDUCED PRICE! GOD DAMMIT!

Davez29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC29 forever

Post by Davez29 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:02 pm

Bowches wrote:Gods Sake! I was going to buy this nice Stanchion/ Fork tube (reflective part) on Ebay for sale. A couple of days ago it was selling for 65 pounds, and now its gone back up to 129! DAM IT!! MISSED THE REDUCED PRICE! GOD DAMMIT!
Use your bartering skills, say nicely that you want it but at the reduced price, I think they may drop it if they have a buyer. I sometimes do that on ebay even if theres no offer button, its surprising how many sellers will do this. The seller is numberworth. I think its Fowlers, they were grey importers at one time if I remember rightly.

Bowches
Familiar Member
Reactions:

Post by Bowches » Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:29 pm

Davez29 wrote:I should add, if you do remove the yoke and stem and find you do have a bent yoke, it is possible to get the stem removed but i think an easier option would be to find a decent stem with bottom yoke attached. You are also better off replacing bearings if doing this i think.

https://postimg.org/image/6w329nz1f/

https://postimg.org/image/nyl4sls5r/

Bowches
Familiar Member
Reactions:

Post by Bowches » Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:30 pm

Check out the two images Davez29 and please let me know what you think of the new bottom yoke I bought on Ebay for 37 pounds

Bowches
Familiar Member
Reactions:

Post by Bowches » Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:36 pm

https://postimg.org/image/gfcplw9bp/

The link/picture above shows that using a horizontal spirit level checker or whatever its called.....The liquid goes a little to the right if I put the bar at the same points.

Therefore I discovered it is about 1cm off. Its much better than the previous yoke which is still in the bike. I think these are my fork tubes that are bent possibly....Maybe I should take it to a maidstone motoliner to make it dead straight!

Bowches
Familiar Member
Reactions:

Post by Bowches » Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:39 pm

Finally....Davez29 or anyone else please could you help me in telling me what I need to buy for the steering stem, as I will now be taking the old yoke and stem out when my C-spanner arrives in the post.

What bearings or washers do I need to buy...please can someone give me a nice link from Ebay.

here is a picture of the bearings on the stem and yoke that just came through the post today. The upper bearing balls are gone I know....

https://postimg.org/image/klxi7mpg9/

sa.racing
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC29 Race

Post by sa.racing » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:32 pm

Just a word of advice, in my many years working with motorcycles both road and race never have I ever seen a bike with a bent fork/yoke that didn't have a bent frame, generally speaking when one of those items gets bent it's from an impact and any impact that's strong enough to bend steel will almost certainly bend the softer aluminium plus the forks act like a giant lever putting pressure on the headstock.

Do your self a favour and get it checked by the professionals

Simon

Foxy400
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC35 NC29 Bonneville CBR600F4i

Post by Foxy400 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:30 am

Bowches, where do you live mate? You seem to be getting in a right muddle with this and maybe someone lives near enough to give you a hand.
Not sure what you're doing with that spirit level but it makes no sense to me. I'm no mechanic but it looks like this could end in tears.

Bowches
Familiar Member
Reactions:

Post by Bowches » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:15 am

Foxy400 wrote:Bowches, where do you live mate? You seem to be getting in a right muddle with this and maybe someone lives near enough to give you a hand.
Not sure what you're doing with that spirit level but it makes no sense to me. I'm no mechanic but it looks like this could end in tears.

I'm living in London. I was checking the how straight the forks are in relation to the flat ground......

Yes if there is anyone in London or within 50 miles of London I will be happy to come to meet them....

I will most likely be taking the bike to maidstone motoliner