Cold weather starting

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
hondahaha
Settled in member
Reactions:
Cold weather starting

Post by hondahaha » Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:27 pm

As soon as the weather got colder I found the bike harder to start,I didn't touch it for a month or more and then transfered it from a cover under a lean-to into a "bike tent" . I took the opportunity to clean the carbs out and change the plugs and after refitting the carbs yesterday it took a while to start but ran well after it fired,I put that down to carb cleaner and fuel supply.
I was out all day today so I decided I'd give it a try from stone cold,it took quite some time to start firing but only on a couple of cylinders then the others cut in,choke in or out it took far too long,I wound the tickover in a bit and that helped...is it the cold or should I look elsewhere....?,...Thanks

Davez29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC29 forever
Re: Cold weather starting

Post by Davez29 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:00 pm

Hi, sorry just noticed your post.

In my years of owning my nc29 i have found it to be a pain to start if left for more than a week especially when the weather changes. Once the cold weather is in i expect the bike to take a bit longer, just the way it is, its very cold blooded. Make sure you have a decent battery, with good cold cranking figures, this will help. I tend to have a higher tickover in winter as well.

I too find if i leave the bike a few weeks it will only fire on three the first time, i have never tracked the problem down as once its warmed up it disappears, i tried cleaning, damp displacement and all the things you might think it would be but came up zilch.

Luckily my bike gets used a lot so its not an everyday occurrence.

cbr400rrn
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC29 CBR600F

Post by cbr400rrn » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:59 pm

Davez29 wrote:
I too find if i leave the bike a few weeks it will only fire on three the first time, i have never tracked the problem down as once its warmed up it disappears, i tried cleaning, damp displacement and all the things you might think it would be but came up zilch.

Luckily my bike gets used a lot so its not an everyday occurrence.
Well I'm glad mine isn't the only one that only starts up on 3. I've cleaned carbs, changed plugs, replaced the ht leads and God knows what else but still it won't start on all 4.

mattiec321
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: GSXR1000K7 Monster HondaPX50

Post by mattiec321 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:40 pm

Sounds like you may have a leaky valve stem oil seal. When the engine is off and at a certain point of rotation the seal allows a seep of oil past and oils up the plug. It is not until the oil is burnt off the cyclinder fires into life.

Davez29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC29 forever

Post by Davez29 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:53 pm

mattiec321 wrote:Sounds like you may have a leaky valve stem oil seal. When the engine is off and at a certain point of rotation the seal allows a seep of oil past and oils up the plug. It is not until the oil is burnt off the cyclinder fires into life.
Interesting, I did vagually think along those lines at one point but discounted it as I never seem to burn oil and not a puff of oil ever out of the exhaust. But, I guess its worth looking into though will have to wait until next year now. Its nice to get some input from someone else though.

Cheers

hondahaha
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by hondahaha » Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:45 pm

I found out by turning the tick-over up it would start better also as it's getting warmer and I'm starting it more regularly the issue doesn't seem as bad,cheers.