Choke?!NC29.

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
hondahaha
Settled in member
Reactions:
Choke?!NC29.

Post by hondahaha » Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:54 pm

Silly question #22.
From what I can ascertain the choke should stay in position when activated and be controlled manually,alas my choke lever automatically returns when released so I need to stand and hold it to warn the bike up.I currently have the carbs off as it was getting hard to start,I changed the plugs and I've cleaned the carbs,the choke slider is working as I guess it should operating all 4 pins but even with a new cable it automatically closes.I haven't got to do the old "mini-peg" mod have I?
Thanks. :oops:

mattiec321
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: GSXR1000K7 Monster HondaPX50
Re: Choke?!NC29.

Post by mattiec321 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:24 pm

Under the choke cable pull there is a nut. Tighten this and you will find that this increases the friction on the cable thus stopping the cable from returning on its own

hondahaha
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by hondahaha » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:37 pm

:plus: Thanks.....

thmjo1
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by thmjo1 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:19 pm

On the subject of chokes, can anyone explain how the cable attaches at the carb end? I have a race NC29 which has a little bit of wire by the TPS on the right hand side which is pulled out to activate the choke but its a bit nadgery and sometimes it feels like you need 3 hands to start the bike! I have a new cable, knob (!) and knob holder (!!) bracket but can't find any pictures of how the cable is routed and attached to the carbs. I'm hoping I have all the bits but theres nothing obvious on the carbs that looks like a cable should attach there.
Thanks

hondahaha
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by hondahaha » Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:59 pm

Straight around the headstock and follow the clutch cable then it veers off towards the other side of the frame across the choke slide.There should be an outer cable retaining clip and a holder for the cable end,be aware I purchased a pattern cable and the inner was too long so I need to cut it and solder a new end on it.Sorry I can't supply a picture,I saw this after I put it back together.
If you look at the on-line parts manual,page E17.item #1 is the frame with the cable lug and item #2 is the outer cable holder parts and the cable feeds in from the top left towards the bottom right of the page..as clear as mud???
http://www.400greybike.com/files/CBR400RR-fiche.pdf

:whistle:

thmjo1
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by thmjo1 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:53 pm

Thanks Hondahaha, it makes some sense now. i think the outer cable clip bit is missing on my carbs. Time for some shopping!
Thanks again