NC29 Radiator - Mad Hornets?

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
DICKIN50N
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: Triumph Speedmaster, NC29
NC29 Radiator - Mad Hornets?

Post by DICKIN50N » Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:25 pm

Hi Guys,

Anyone bought from a company called Mad Hornets Before? Seen they have an NC29 radiator on there http://www.madhornets.com/radiator-hond ... 1990-1994/ for not alot doesnt seem like a bad purchase just wandered if anyone had used them before and had any feedback? apart from the big names in 400 Spares I always get a bit dubious of companies selling bits for our bikes (Probably to my disadvantage!) but knowledge is power!

Shiny side up! :peace:

Davez29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC29 forever
Re: NC29 Radiator - Mad Hornets?

Post by Davez29 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:02 am

These appear to be the same Chinese radiators you can buy on ebay. Funny enough I was wondering the same thing just the other day as my rad is taking a hit off all the salty roads and i will need to change it eventually. I was reluctantly thinking these may be the only option as new oems even if available will be very expensive.

The way i was thinking is that i have changed a couple of rads from ebay recently on cars and both were cheap aftermarket parts and they seemed no different from what I took out, and work fine, so with a bit luck the ones on ebay for the 29 may be the same. The seller i looked at seemed to have sold several so somone must have an idea, hoprfully they visit the forum.

The v4 forum mentions their experiences with Chinese rads, if I remember rightly.

If you get one, tell us how you get on.

Btw, years ago i bought a few Chinese parts just to try out and apart from a screen not one of them were satisfactory or even worked. Even the best buy, the screen was very brittle and cracked when I lightly caught the mirror while standing up one day. There is a post about it in the forum somewhere way back.

DICKIN50N
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by DICKIN50N » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:14 am

Thanks Davez, I'm in two minds, the only thing I've purchased myseld directly from chinese suppliers is my new type 1 fairings from fairing solutions and due t the chinese new year they wont be here until about mid march so not able to comment on them yet, i'll post something when they are fitted though, I know fairings are a big one with alot of owners both seasoned and new.

I'll have a look again when I get in tonight. If I take the Hit i Will let you know how i get on with fitment when the bike goes back together. performance wont find out till later this year when the 29's back on the road.

If anyone else has bought a rad from another chinese supplier or indeed this one can you comment on the performance of it?

cbr400rrn
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC29 CBR600F

Post by cbr400rrn » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:37 pm

Can you not get the oe radiator recored if you have the time to wait

DICKIN50N
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by DICKIN50N » Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:38 am

where from? I've had a little look but couldnt see?

cbr400rrn
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC29 CBR600F

Post by cbr400rrn » Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:46 am

Someone at work got a rad recored so will ask him when I see him this week

DICKIN50N
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by DICKIN50N » Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:11 pm

cheers mate :peace:

jonhunt
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: Kawasaki Z1a,Honda NC23j

Post by jonhunt » Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:49 pm

I bought a Chinese rad for my nc23. Apart from having to slot one hole and getting some fixing for the stone guard it was good. Cheap too. I had to chase a bit for the delivery.

Davez29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC29 forever
Re: NC29 Radiator - Chinese Cheapy

Post by Davez29 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:23 am

OK, a while after this post I decided to buy one of the cheapest Chinese rads I could find, cost £38 delivered. Remembering if it was no good I could still use my disintegrating original if need be as it has not leaked yet.

The Rad was sent pretty quick via tracked airmail, it took under ten days to arrive, although it took four of those days to leave China, it then was sent to a distribution centre in the UK and relabelled with a Parcelforce label. When it arrived it was well packed and on opening I thought well it doesnt look half bad for the money, considering your looking at the best part of a thousand pound for a new Honda rad.

The main thing you will notice is that the rad is not curved, will this matter? I have fit it in place today and had to briefly push it (a gentle nudge as the bracket was out) so that it looked centred and it could go full lock on the lower fork tree with the same gap both sides. two other things to note, one fan bolt bracket was just out, again a gentle twisting nudge on the offending bracket and the bolt went in no problem.

The second thing to note is if you use the rad cover is that it wont fit, at least on the one I have. I found the main problem apart from its expecting a curve,was that the lip of metal that goes an the top and bottom cross beam is too high, also the cut outs for the cover were not in the correct place. This was remedied by cutting slots in the lip edge only and folding it over where needed.Work out where the cover slots are and its a small amount folded just next to them, not as bad as it sounds but 10 minutes with a small hacksaw and pliers should sort it. Finally for me I had to re-paint it silver due to the R models being silver.

I filled it with water to test for leaks but as my bike is in bits I cant start it up just yet. The only other thing I can think of is with it not being curved will it foul the wheel, on full compression? testing to be done tomorrow as my forks are still off.

Ohh and if you get one remember you will need all your fittings, rubber bits etc..

piccys

DICKIN50N
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by DICKIN50N » Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:26 pm

Sounds like your bike is in a similar state to mine! Well put, I noticed the curve and slots in the cover but hadn't tried mocking it up yet so all good to know :grin: