A few queries on upgrade/compatibility please!

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
tanuki
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: CCM404 SM, CBR4/6 in progress
Re: A few queries on upgrade/compatibility please!

Post by tanuki » Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:42 pm

It was years ago I had these forks, I cant quite remember if it was on the bottom of the fork leg or recessed on the underneath.

Do your fork tops look like this?

http://www.bike-urious.com/wp-content/u ... uster2.jpg

Davez29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC29 forever

Post by Davez29 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:43 pm

tanuki wrote: Do your fork tops look like this?
Yep, but I have never seen anything on the forks that I can say is for compression. I dont know what to look for if im honest, nothing underneath either. Maybe a vfr'ist can show a picture?

I hope the OP dont mind me trying to confirm this.

tanuki
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: CCM404 SM, CBR4/6 in progress

Post by tanuki » Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:55 pm

mine had been fettled by Maxton....maybe that was it.

Bowches
Familiar Member
Reactions:
Bike owned: cbr 400 zxr 400 gsx 1300r

Post by Bowches » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:12 pm

fastrob691 wrote:Let me know on the air box if you get it sorted, I'm after the same.

I did my racetech springs and they suggested 15w oil, I used 15w, at 105mm from the top for oil level. It was around 480cc per fork leg.

I had to cut longer preload spacers as the springs are shorter but it's easy to match, and racetech gives you aluminum tubing to cut for the spacers.

Hi there....

Please could someone help me a little here. I'm just filling oil on my right fork for my Honda CBR 400 NC29 1990 model.
How much ml of oil am I meant to fill the fork with. The fork leg is fully compressed with the spring and everything taken out expect the damper rod which is at the bottom and fixed on with the allen bolt at the bottom of the leg.

I measured it so far and it says 24cm or 240mm from the top of the fork tube till the oil touches MY TAPE MEASURE.

On the manual it says Fork oil level*.......105mm (L and N Model)
*Oil level is measured from the top of the tube with the fork spring removed and the leg fully compressed.

I just wanted to make sure.....so I basically have to add another 9 cm of oil right??
Because it looks like a lot and I wanted to be sure........

It was leaking before and when I have drained the previous fork oil it looks alot less than how much I have filled in so far.

Please help Thank you

Davez29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Davez29 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:27 pm

Your airspace should be 105mm if thats what it says. so everything compressed and taken out, now measure from the top of the tube and either slowly add or take away oil until it is 105mm from the top of the stanchion, you appear to be on the right track, dont worry about how many MLs, just go for the gap. Remember to lightly pump the fork as you add oil to make sure it goes all around and while adding inner springs etc
Bowches wrote:Hi there....

Please could someone help me a little here. I'm just filling oil on my right fork for my Honda CBR 400 NC29 1990 model.
How much ml of oil am I meant to fill the fork with. The fork leg is fully compressed with the spring and everything taken out expect the damper rod which is at the bottom and fixed on with the allen bolt at the bottom of the leg.

I measured it so far and it says 24cm or 240mm from the top of the fork tube till the oil touches MY TAPE MEASURE.

*Oil level is measured from the top of the tube with the fork spring removed and the leg fully compressed.

I just wanted to make sure.....so I basically have to add another 9 cm of oil right??

It was leaking before and when I have drained the previous fork oil it looks alot less than how much I have filled in so far.

Please help Thank you

Bowches
Familiar Member
Reactions:

Post by Bowches » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:40 pm

Davez29 wrote:Your airspace should be 105mm if thats what it says. so everything compressed and taken out, now measure from the top of the tube and either slowly add or take away oil until it is 105mm from the top of the stanchion, you appear to be on the right track, dont worry about how many MLs, just go for the gap. Remember to lightly pump the fork as you add oil to make sure it goes all around and while adding inner springs etc
Bowches wrote:Hi there....

Please help Thank you

WOW THANK YOU SO MUCH DAVEZ29 for the fast reply!! Thank you so much
I will be doing it tomarrow morning....its too dark and cold to go in my garage now lol

By the way check out my new post...I have uploaded images from the practical sportsbike magazine article on a restored CBR 400, Check it out.

So I'm going to measure from the top of the tube with a tape measure and the tip of the tape measure must touch the oil with 10.5 cm or 105mm. And then I must put all the springs and everthing inside.....

Davez29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Davez29 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:17 pm

Bowches wrote: WOW THANK YOU SO MUCH DAVEZ29 for the fast reply!! Thank you so much
I will be doing it tomarrow morning....its too dark and cold to go in my garage now lol

By the way check out my new post...I have uploaded images from the practical sportsbike magazine article on a restored CBR 400, Check it out.

So I'm going to measure from the top of the tube with a tape measure and the tip of the tape measure must touch the oil with 10.5 cm or 105mm. And then I must put all the springs and everthing inside.....
Yes, with the tape measure, but if you can find something, such as a straw, pancil, bent wire or coffee stirrer and can put it in the top without dropping it, mark it 110mm up and and 5mm at the end put it down the tube, lining up the 110 mark with the top of the tube, when the oil covers the first 5mm you will be the perfect height.

Yes the weather is a bugger, I need to do stuff but can only can do it outside, so Im well put off at the moment.

I bought the mag last week, I wonder who it is? I notice he had one of my mates yoke covers on, lol, I seen at least five now, I dont know how many he sold. thanks for the post though.

dave

Bowches
Familiar Member
Reactions:

Post by Bowches » Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:54 pm

Davez29 wrote:
Bowches wrote: WOW THANK YOU SO MUCH DAVEZ29 for the fast reply!! Thank you so much

Yes, with the tape measure, but if you can find something, such as a straw, pancil, bent wire or coffee stirrer and can put it in the top without dropping it, mark it 110mm up and and 5mm at the end put it down the tube, lining up the 110 mark with the top of the tube, when the oil covers the first 5mm you will be the perfect height.

Yes the weather is a bugger, I need to do stuff but can only can do it outside, so Im well put off at the moment.

I bought the mag last week, I wonder who it is? I notice he had one of my mates yoke covers on, lol, I seen at least five now, I dont know how many he sold. thanks for the post though.

dave

https://s24.postimg.org/4qzbbzz3p/IMG_3278_1.jpg

Have a look at this. THIS IS WHERE THE OIL LEVEL IS CURRENTLY AT THE MOMENT 10.5CM. Everything going good? I think so but it does look like alot of oil. The 10.5cm is the empty space and everything below the tape measure below 10.5cm is oil, I also pumped the fork leg up and down while filling oil

Bowches
Familiar Member
Reactions:

Post by Bowches » Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:55 pm

THIS IS THE OIL I USED FOR MY RIGHT FORK ON THE CBR 400 NC29.

CASTROL 10W SYNTHETIC OIL

Have a look at this image.

https://s27.postimg.org/o6ighfhf7/IMG_3279_1.jpg

Bowches
Familiar Member
Reactions:

Post by Bowches » Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:58 pm

https://s23.postimg.org/8n4vqe9jv/IMG_3276_1.jpg

This is me checking 10.5cm from the top with a tape measure