A few queries on upgrade/compatibility please!

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
alexhumber
Settled in member
Reactions:
A few queries on upgrade/compatibility please!

Post by alexhumber » Mon May 09, 2016 8:53 pm

Hello all,

I’ve got my trusty NC29 back on the road and had fun riding her yesterday. I’ve had her 13 years this year. She’s been somewhat overlooked the past few years against other bikes in the garage but am keen to pay her more attention. I could buy a modern sports bike but then it would be a modern sports bike and not something interesting.

I’ve trawled around this forum and am after a bit of help please as a few things are not clear (to me).

1. Front end

Forks seem very soft, but still bad at soaking up bumps. I have stiffer racetech springs but cannot remember the fork oil grade, but it was the recommended for my weight. I’ve always been after an RVF or CBR6 front end or something else, preferably with USD forks, but never managed to bag the deal before someone else snatches it.

Any ideas?

I’ve seen a CBR600RR front end for sale including yokes etc. that is all modified to fit an NC30 – would this fit an NC29 frame head? Aren’t the stem lengths different?

2. Fuel and air

Carbs need cleaning thoroughly – I was going to get them ultrasonically cleaned and having poked around various sites such as Graeme France’s I noticed the ram air box mod. I see that there is the air box £140, full fitting kit £80, and also Yakama does the HRC replica carb kits.

What change in performance/running do these mods make?

Does the HRC carb kit mean the ram air box fitting kit is not required?

Any suggestions for a carb rebuild kit with rubber gaskets and other fittings etc.?

3. Tail unit

Although the rear ¾ view is very nice, at all other angles it looks a little slabby and flabby. A few people have changed theirs for a sleeker, more modern look.

Can anyone recommend what alternative subframe and seat unit fairing fits/works?

4. Fairing

The fairing is cracked/broken in a few places. The Tyga kits look great but at ~£1000 a bit excessive.

What is the recommended method of fixing the fairings? E.g. bonding together cracks.

Cheers,

Alex

Here she is:

fastrob691
Settled in member
Reactions:
Re: A few queries on upgrade/compatibility please!

Post by fastrob691 » Wed May 18, 2016 11:09 pm

Let me know on the air box if you get it sorted, I'm after the same.

I did my racetech springs and they suggested 15w oil, I used 15w, at 105mm from the top for oil level. It was around 480cc per fork leg.

I had to cut longer preload spacers as the springs are shorter but it's easy to match, and racetech gives you aluminum tubing to cut for the spacers.

tanuki
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: CCM404 SM, CBR4/6 in progress

Post by tanuki » Fri May 20, 2016 12:01 pm

alexhumber wrote:

1. Front end

Forks seem very soft, but still bad at soaking up bumps. I have stiffer racetech springs but cannot remember the fork oil grade, but it was the recommended for my weight. I’ve always been after an RVF or CBR6 front end or something else, preferably with USD forks, but never managed to bag the deal before someone else snatches it.

Any ideas?

I’ve seen a CBR600RR front end for sale including yokes etc. that is all modified to fit an NC30 – would this fit an NC29 frame head? Aren’t the stem lengths different?

NC30 stems are different RVF forks will fit but but you will need to fit the CBR stem in the RVF yokes and your lock will be drastically reduced

2. Fuel and air

Carbs need cleaning thoroughly – I was going to get them ultrasonically cleaned and having poked around various sites such as Graeme France’s I noticed the ram air box mod. I see that there is the air box £140, full fitting kit £80, and also Yakama does the HRC replica carb kits.

What change in performance/running do these mods make?

Does the HRC carb kit mean the ram air box fitting kit is not required?

Any suggestions for a carb rebuild kit with rubber gaskets and other fittings etc.?

My understanding is the HRC carb kit is a similar kit to say dynojet so will include adjustable needles and a range of different jets.

Ram air is pointless on a road bike as it doesn't do anything until you reach around 70, you have to relocate the coils to the frame, drop the radiator, chop the airbox and ideally remove the air filter. You will also need a carb kit as you will need adjustble needles to get it running properly

3. Tail unit

Although the rear ¾ view is very nice, at all other angles it looks a little slabby and flabby. A few people have changed theirs for a sleeker, more modern look.

Can anyone recommend what alternative subframe and seat unit fairing fits/works?

Just dont please.....your bike is wht it is, a 90s piece of awesome, dont detract from that.

4. Fairing

The fairing is cracked/broken in a few places. The Tyga kits look great but at ~£1000 a bit excessive.

What is the recommended method of fixing the fairings? E.g. bonding together cracks.

alexhumber
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by alexhumber » Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:48 pm

Thanks for info!

I've got some 600 F3 forks and plan to swap the uppers and internals so I'll see how that goes as my first job.

cbr400rrn
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC29 CBR600F

Post by cbr400rrn » Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:05 pm

1) maxton
2) as tanuki said, complete waste of time on the road.
3) if you want a different style of bike buy a different bike it's a fantastic design.
4) plastex or plastech. Google it, it's good stuff

tanuki
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by tanuki » Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:04 am

alexhumber wrote:Thanks for info!

I've got some 600 F3 forks and plan to swap the uppers and internals so I'll see how that goes as my first job.
The last of the 29s came with fully adjustable forks so by knicking the internals from the F3 forks thats exactly what you will be getting

tarus12
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by tarus12 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 12:20 pm

Hi Guys, Tanuki when you say the last models of NC29s had fully adjustable forks, did you mean they had pre-load adjustment and rebound/compression adjustment in the one adjustment? I have a 1996 NC29 and that is what is on my bike.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Davez29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC29 forever

Post by Davez29 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:12 pm

I always thought it was just pre-load and rebound on the R model. No compression adjustment.

tanuki
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by tanuki » Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:26 am

for Rebound, Compression and pre-load.

IIRC the compression adjuster is on the bottom of the fork leg.

Davez29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC29 forever

Post by Davez29 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:32 pm

Hi tanuki, I have no adjuster on the bottom of my standard R model fork legs as far as I know. I am certain my R model forks are standard. Although I understand the Vfr400 has this adjuster. Can you point me to this as I'm confused now.