NC 29 Standard to TYGA

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
eltham93
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC23 & NC29
NC 29 Standard to TYGA

Post by eltham93 » Fri Sep 25, 2015 11:09 am

This project is to take a Standard NC29 and make it into something of my own!

*Edit* All my progress will be logged onto this first post, so fingers crossed come the end of it all people can just look at page one rather than having to skip through pages to see progress.

I will upload as many photos as I can when I can, but this wont be done quickly, and my ideal plan is to have no expense spared, as I only want the best! And I want it to be unique. (Although there are a few TYGA NC29's out there, I am sure when this one is finished its going to be one of a kind!)...

For those who will say I am destroying a classic, fear not, as I own two CBR 400's and I intend to, once this project is complete, strip the original one down and have it nut and bolt restored to its former brand new glory! :peace:

So what's going to make mine different?
Firstly the colour scheme - Powerder coating the frame, engine etc matte black, the TYGA kit is going to also be Matte Black... However, the wheels are going to be either Lime Green or Orange! Need some colour right?
Secondly the exhaust - I will be having an under the seat exhaust system custom made!
Electronics - New dials, lights obviously are going to be TYGA... However I want to modify these a little to have a coloured ring around them to match my wheels!

Well that's the starting list, lets get cracking!!

So my progress thus far....

Donor Bike - Got one for a great price! Running and full of goodies!
CBR 600 Rear Shock - Landed one of these on the cheap. Wont hurt to have a little more comfort?

Merge these two together to get a rolling chassis. Time to get to work!!

Just a little edit, worked out how to upload photo's so I thought I would share my inspiration (picture below)... but as stated this bike is going to be different, not only the paint job but everything else!

27/09/2015
Update 1...

Still making space in the workshop to get the bike in there to fully work on, poor thing is sitting outside covered up to protect her from the rain at least! Fingers crossed in two weeks time I will have a lot more room to really focus on this one...

Due to the exhaust being a one off custom build for this bike, I didn't dare pay the £350 for the brand new TYGA kit, so I managed to get a second hand one online for £150 [picture below]. The idea behind this purchase is because, it will need some adjustments, modifications! Fibre glass lessons will be needed, although I have a friend that reckons he is the bee's knees at it, so good learning and he enjoys it, so minimal costing!

So the next steps are to get the bike to a rolling chassis with this rear end on, have it at the angle that I want and what looks cool 8-) obviously. I am going to have to adjust the end frame, but shouldn't be too hard!

02/10/2015
Update 2

So tonight is the night... I have to get dirty and messy taking apart the donor bike! So will be a night of stripping and evaluating what I have got, boxing up what I need it keep and taking photos of what I don't need ready to sell! (Might list it on the for sale section).

I have made a cosmetic decision about the rear end (could have been worded better. lol), more specifically in regards to the exhaust! I am going to have a twin tail exhaust, with oval end cans angled to go with the flow of the kit... very hard to describe so I am most certainly looking forward to getting this done to show you all some pictures!!

Here is a little teaser of the end can's to give you and idea. It has a removable baffle too ;)

Two of these either side of my tail wont be too bad!

10/10/2015
Update 3

I have end cans! Woop! Very happy with them, exactly what I wanted and was expecting and they are extremely good quality.

I also got a little bored and stuck the TYGA rear end onto the bike, just for a laugh, and to work out the bloody exhaust system out and how we can work this one...

Onto working out the exhaust system, VFR swing arm, edit current configuration or something new altogether?!

So i am now onto the cool parts... well by cool I mean I have got to spend an arm and a leg getting all my modifications... more news on that to follow in the coming days, once I have my list sorted!
Last edited by eltham93 on Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:24 am, edited 7 times in total.

dunkenb
Reactions:
Bike owned: Cbr400rr nc29 type8 NSR250
Re: NC 29 Standard to TYGA

Post by dunkenb » Fri Sep 25, 2015 5:17 pm

Sounds cool 8-)

Davez29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC29 forever

Post by Davez29 » Fri Sep 25, 2015 11:40 pm

Yes, good luck, hope you keep us up to date on your build.

eltham93
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by eltham93 » Sun Sep 27, 2015 7:50 pm

Here is a quick update for those who are interested...

Still making space in the workshop to get the bike in there to fully work on, poor thing is sitting outside covered up to protect her from the rain at least! Fingers crossed in two weeks time I will have a lot more room to really focus on this one...

Due to the exhaust being a one off custom build for this bike, I didn't dare pay the £350 for the brand new TYGA kit, so I managed to get a second hand one online for £150 [picture below]. The idea behind this purchase is because, it will need some adjustments, modifications! Fibre glass lessons will be needed, although I have a friend that reckons he is the bee's knees at it, so good learning and he enjoys it, so minimal costing!

So the next steps are to get the bike to a rolling chassis with this rear end on, have it at the angle that I want and what looks cool 8-) obviously. I am going to have to adjust the end frame, but shouldn't be too hard!

Will update you guys when I have a little bit more together :-)

Thanks!

eltham93
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by eltham93 » Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:37 am

So tonight is the night... I have to get dirty and messy taking apart the donor bike! So will be a night of stripping and evaluating what I have got, boxing up what I need it keep and taking photos of what I don't need ready to sell! (Might list it on the for sale section).

I have made a cosmetic decision about the rear end (could have been worded better. lol), more specifically in regards to the exhaust! I am going to have a twin tail exhaust, with oval end cans angled to go with the flow of the kit... very hard to describe so I am most certainly looking forward to getting this done to show you all some pictures!!

Here is a little teaser of the end can's to give you and idea. It has a removable baffle too ;)

Two of these either side of my tail wont be too bad! Thoughts?

eltham93
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by eltham93 » Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:00 pm

Seems like forever since my last update on here, work is going slow, but Rome wasn't built in a day!

I am awaiting the end cans, they are here in the UK but I need to pay the TAX's etc :down: - as soon as they arrive I will get the pictures up here! Talking of pictures, finally managed to find one of what my rear end cans will look like (well as close as I can get!).

I know this inst a Honda rear end, but the style is what I am going for... now to finally get the rolling chassis completed. I have two frames both nc29 (one will be sold including Log book - if you are interested let me know!) so will decide what one is best, that being said they are both really good condition so it will go down to the better reg number lol.

I have someone who can do the fabrication, but I am not sure of his work! So I am going to be enquiring non stop for the next few weeks, to find the best fabricator at the best price!

A little side note, I want to get maximum power and performance from my bike, anyone have any tips on this?

I will look to update weekly from now on in, hope to drum up some more interest at least lol! :pray:

Davez29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC29 forever

Post by Davez29 » Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:38 pm

Dont worry people still lurk on your thread even if not much encouragement is shown, its seems to be working out for you so keep it updated. The picture you show as your inspiration (Pramac) a nc29 version was owned by a member here, sadly he no longer frequents this site but there are many pictures around the net of it, some pics shown are adorned with some ladies as well :) I think you will find them on asian bike forum sites. I cant remember his name here but he may have put some build posts up.

edit: actually just stick nc29 pramac into google and some links will come up with some video, just look for gary rivero or garyboy_palaboy.

eltham93
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by eltham93 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:22 pm

Thanks DD apprecite your comments, I shall endevour to update this as and when!

Speaking of updates...

I have end cans! Woop! Very happy with them, exactly what I wanted and was expecting and they are extremly good quality.

I also got a little bored and stuck the TYGA rear end onto the bike, just for a laugh, and to work out the bloody exhaust system out and how we can work this one...

MASSIVE QUESTION - Would a VFR swing arm fit straight on? I know I would need the correct wheel etc but it could save me SO much time if I had a single sided swing arm when it comes ot fabrication!

So i am now onto the cool parts... well by cool I mean I have got to spend an arm and a leg getting all my modifications... more news on that to follow in the coming days, once I have my list sorted!

Stay Tuned! Any Suggestions are also welcome!

dunkenb
Reactions:
Bike owned: Cbr400rr nc29 type8 NSR250

Post by dunkenb » Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:59 am

A cbr600rr swing arm would be a better fit for exhaust clearance 8-)

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=43139&p=315409#p315409

eltham93
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by eltham93 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 1:47 pm

dunkenb wrote:A cbr600rr swing arm would be a better fit for exhaust clearance 8-)

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=43139&p=315409#p315409
Thanks for that idea mate, however...

The only problem is that the CBR 600 swing arm is longer, so it would increase the wheelbase, and would slowing the steering! It would take sharp handling away, one of the best perks of these beasts?

Perhaps this will be a back up plan :P

If I can't find out about the VFR swingarm, I will probably look to move the foot pegs around (an inch or two) on both sides to keep it looking even! The think tank is growing!