Engine Mounting Bolt Sizes for crash bobbins?

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
mbooth1
Settled in member
Reactions:
Engine Mounting Bolt Sizes for crash bobbins?

Post by mbooth1 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:33 pm

Wondered if anyone knew the size of the mid(?) engine mounting bolts one removes to fit R&G crash bobbins? I have a set of bobbins but no hardware, hence the question as I will need to find longer bolts to fit. And bike is locked away in storage right now. I have searched the forum but with no success and Haynes doesn't quote a size. It's a CBR-RRJ NC23.
If can't find an answer will need to wait I guess. Thanks. Mike

spritz46
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC23, SRX long term project
Re: Engine Mounting Bolt Sizes for crash bobbins?

Post by spritz46 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:59 am

mbooth1 wrote:Wondered if anyone knew the size of the mid(?) engine mounting bolts one removes to fit R&G crash bobbins? I have a set of bobbins but no hardware, hence the question as I will need to find longer bolts to fit. And bike is locked away in storage right now. I have searched the forum but with no success and Haynes doesn't quote a size. It's a CBR-RRJ NC23.
If can't find an answer will need to wait I guess. Thanks. Mike
Hi Mike,

Is it the bolts at the bottom of the rad where the spur comes down to fit the engine to? Just where the headers kind of come out?

I can have a look on mine and see what the standard bolts are for you later today. That should at least give you a starting point.

Failing that have you tried mailing R&G to ask? You can get them via these details...

Racing Technique Ltd t/a R&G
Unit 1, Shelleys Lane
East Worldham
Alton, Hampshire
GU34 3AQ
United Kingdom

Email. info@rg-racing.com
Facebook. crashprotection
Twitter. @RnGRacing

Always been really helpful with my other enquiries on different bikes. Hope that helps a little anyway.

Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mbooth1
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by mbooth1 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:09 pm

Matt,
That's a fine suggestion, I'll contact R&G. Their "installation instructions" for their R&G crash bobbins say to remove the MID engine mount -- but there are four mounts I think with the back two bolts across the frame and the two at front (each side) being bolts -- I think these are 10mm bolts, normally identifiable by I think 14mm heads. But, while the R&G bungs certainly fix to one of the two foremost bolts, there cannot be a MID bolt if there are only two!! So you're right maybe I should check with R&G. I wouldn't want you to disturb the bike for me Matt. It would help if you or anyone else knew, off the top of their heads, or from experience, what diameter the engine mount bolts are, which I suspect are 10mm.
I'll contact R&G in meantime.
Thanks
Mike

LITTLE=ONE
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: LOTS

Post by LITTLE=ONE » Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:49 am

m10 x 100mm

i will get you some photos tomorrow

Little =one

LITTLE=ONE
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: LOTS

Post by LITTLE=ONE » Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:27 am

this is the crash protector

and it goes here

hope this helps

little=one

mbooth1
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by mbooth1 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:51 pm

Little=One -- brilliant, just what I needed. For some reason R&G say remove the mid bolt, but clearly it's the top front mounting bolt. So thanks that solves my need. A great help. thank you.
Mike

spritz46
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC23, SRX long term project

Post by spritz46 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:32 am

If you're going to get bolts from other places than R&G I'd just ask about for tensile strength...

Only reason I'd say that is temptation says go for really high tensile but I've seen those bolts be too hard and allow the slider to bite into the tarmac and flip the bike during a slide.

Seen a couple of bikes come into the shop like that over a few years so worth just checking it out. Just my two bob. By all means any other experience speak up.

Glad little=one came through good! That's why we love the forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mbooth1
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by mbooth1 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:43 pm

Thanks Spritz -- will watch out re bolts as you suggest.
Lots to do before I get near that stage.................
Mike

CB1pod70
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by CB1pod70 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:02 pm

I've always mounted mine on the bottom mount but I don't think it makes much difference apart from it's easier to make a cut out in the lower fairing as it is flatter at this point and the cut hole can be blended into the existing holes for the pick-up & stator covers so that the fairing can be removed without removing the crash bungs