NC29 1991 Type 4 Fairings

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
BabyBlade0161
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: Honda MT50 & 1991 NC29
NC29 1991 Type 4 Fairings

Post by BabyBlade0161 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:45 pm

Hi All

I'm currently speaking to xx-moto on eBay trying to replicate the original type 4 design for the fairings, albeit in ABS plastic. Currently I only have the tank & rear end fairings(which are scuffed) so I am looking to replace the full lot(apart from the tank).

I found the type 4 colour codes on another post(see bottom of post) although I can only find the colour codes for the Heavy Grey and Granite Blue, which I'm assuming is the shades of grey?

I was wondering if anyone knew what colour code the base colour is? It is a sort of metallic black with a very slight blue/purple sparkle to it.

Also the seller on eBay asked me to send a photo of the type 4 fairings to him so his paint supplier can analyse the photo to get the colours from it. Doing it that way will never be accurate as there will always be reflections etc, so is there anyway of converting the Honda codes to a more conventional colour code system? Rather than using a photo which is not HD, and will not be accurate because of reflections and exposure levels etc.

If anyone could help me out that would be great

Many thanks

Jake

Type 4 info found of Greybike:

ImageColour: Granite Blue/Heavy Gray (PB-184M-U/NH-194M)

Type 4 supplementary colours. The letter code matches the position printed in the fiche. A ? means unknown code or perhaps a decal.

A ?
B ?
C NH194MU Heavy Gray Metallic
D?
E PB184MU Granite Blue Metallic
F PB184MU Granite Blue Metallic
G ? (Rear Honda Decal)
Air Pipes, NH109M Shot silver metallic special

Photos of a Type 4 found on sportbikerider.us:

Davez29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC29 forever
Re: NC29 1991 Type 4 Fairings

Post by Davez29 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:04 pm

Hi, from what i gathered when doing the info mentioned above is that the undercoat colours in the supplementary codes are the ones ending in MU. I will re check if its just the 194mu for the full undercoat if i can find out the info.

^^^^^^^ I was wrong^^^^^

EDIT, Just quickly checked and found out the actual code is "2TN110 Granite blue metallic-U/Heavy gray metallic-U" found in the supplementary colours used on that model. It could be a one off special Honda code just for that bike. 110 in the code indicates to me it is a shade of matt black.

Also just noticed that model has silver air ducts and not black, this was also a special colour. But I think you may have new black ones anyway. ;)

Davez29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Davez29 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:08 pm

Just a thought and it will cost but maybe buy the two main colours from RS Paints in their smallest chip and scratch repair bottles and send them to China for a better match.

BabyBlade0161
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by BabyBlade0161 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:30 pm

Davez29 wrote: EDIT, Just quickly checked and found out the actual code is "2TN110 Granite blue metallic-U/Heavy gray metallic-U" found in the supplementary colours used on that model. It could be a one off special Honda code just for that bike. 110 in the code indicates to me it is a shade of matt black.

Also just noticed that model has silver air ducts and not black, this was also a special colour. But I think you may have new black ones anyway. ;)
Hello mate, thanks for finding that black code out for me, I've just looked online and I cannot find 2TN110 anywhere so I'm assuming it's a Honda special one off job which is a bugger. I'll contact RS Paint and Colour Rite and see if they have ever came across it.

And yep I know, I prefer the black ducts haha. ;)
Davez29 wrote:Just a thought and it will cost but maybe buy the two main colours from RS Paints in their smallest chip and scratch repair bottles and send them to China for a better match.
Yeah I had thought about that, or see if I could get them to send me a colour sample paper sheet to send over...

Or I try and get and get non reflective photos of the tank that's on there now, although it still won't be 100% accurate.

Davez29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Davez29 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:23 pm

If you have a polarizing filter and know how to use one try getting the best saturated non reflecting colours with this in your pictures.

Davez29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Davez29 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:36 pm

I had a look on RS paints and they list the main colours but they dont list a base coat. Myself if it were possible i would go with a black undercoat test piece and also try a white and grey undercoat test pieces to see what difference it makes. I know it would be hard to do if buying from China, sadly.

jonhunt
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: Kawasaki Z1a,Honda NC23j

Post by jonhunt » Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:31 pm

Sending paint to China is a no no. You'll my get anyone to ship accelerants

BabyBlade0161
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by BabyBlade0161 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:12 am

Davez29 wrote:If you have a polarizing filter and know how to use one try getting the best saturated non reflecting colours with this in your pictures.
Yeah I have got one, that'll be the way to get the best photo.
Davez29 wrote:I had a look on RS paints and they list the main colours but they dont list a base coat. Myself if it were possible i would go with a black undercoat test piece and also try a white and grey undercoat test pieces to see what difference it makes. I know it would be hard to do if buying from China, sadly.
I had a look too, I have contacted them asking if they do the black but I'm still waiting on a reply.
jonhunt wrote:Sending paint to China is a no no. You'll my get anyone to ship accelerants
I think the best thing for me to do is see if I can get some colour sample papers of the colours, put them on the tank next to the colours that are already painted on there and then take a photo and send it over to China to be analysed. I'll try and see if they will chuck in some paint so I can redo the tank to match if the shades are out, it'll bug me if I know they're different shades... Although that all depends if they'll ship accelerants as Jon said.

I'm currently away so nothing will happen for a week or so anyway but I'll post updates on this topic.

If anyone wants to know I got in contact with both xx-moto and ez-moto on eBay regarding customising the type 2 kits they do with the type 4 colours and both replied although xx-moto replied quicker and seemed to be more enthusiastic/more willing you could say and so I think I'm going to stick with him. Although ez-moto's English was better but that doesn't bother me too much, xx-moto also sent me some pics of his previous NC29 fairings which seem fairly good so... only time will tell.

JZH
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: RSCBRRVFVFRST

Post by JZH » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:07 pm

2TN110 is not a Honda colour code.

The mudguard is Heavy gray metallic NH194MU and the other major colour is Granite blue metallic PB184MU (looks black to many people). The lighter colour is only decals, AFAIK, so no paint code. You could try to find one of the stripe decals for sale somewhere, like Yahoo Japan Auctions, and get it matched professionally. It would be easier to match No. 6... ;)

Ciao,
JZH

London, UK/So.Cal., USA
www.vsource.org

Davez29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Davez29 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:20 am

Yes JZH, 2TN110 is not on any Honda colour code i have seen but it is listed in the supplementary colour codes at the front of the nc29 fiche, with the text mentioning the two main colours, so im guessing this matt black mix is the basecoat U colour for this model. It would make sense as thats what babyblade is seeing on his scratched panels. I did have a quick look to see if i could work out that stripe colour the other day but i will have to study it for a while to be sure as i cant read Japanese.

Actually the colour for that stripe is on the page J14 of the fiche in the box for type 4 A&B if anyone can read Japanese. I will try later as ive been on nightshift.

here..

The best picture I could find of a type 4.