Race replica chinese fairings

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
dunkenb
Reactions:
Bike owned: Cbr400rr nc29 type8 NSR250
Re: Race replaica chinese fairings

Post by dunkenb » Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:55 pm

Thats not too steep then. I bought a kit a couple of years ago for my nsr before i repainted the oem ones and they didn't charge anything, guess i was lucky! :o

CBRNugget
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by CBRNugget » Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:32 pm

I recon the boys and girls at Border Control tighten things at Christmas, and a big fat box of fairings is just too hard to miss, LOL.

I agree - It wasn't too steep at all, and hopefully it'll be worth it.

Will post pics as soon as I can.

Now I need a left fairing bracket... :)

dunkenb
Reactions:

Post by dunkenb » Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:58 pm

Just seen a site bikefairings.com.au advertising nc29 fairings. Says all their fairings are injection moulded (not pressure moulded). $600au delivered. Works out at £395. :o
They're on ebay too and can do any custom paint job included in the price. Seems a good price if they are indeed injection moulded.
I've emailed them for more details. 8-)

dunkenb
Reactions:

Post by dunkenb » Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:24 pm

Scratch that, just got a reply "this particular set are compression moulded" ! Bugger! :x

royster81
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: VFR400R-L NC30 CBR400RR-R NC29

Post by royster81 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:38 am

Have you got the on yet.
It's not having what you want but wanting what you've got....Loud ,Proud and Modified ....

CBRNugget
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by CBRNugget » Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:08 pm

No... I need to call GF Racing wrt brackets and all other relevant items to fit them... Plus my bike is "an eligible candidate for streetfightering", so nothing is happening yet, other than me sitting with it with a BIG can of Peek, cleaning it up.

However, here are some pics of the fairings which I took with my phone.

All in all I have mixed feelings for the fairings.

As much as I am extremely glad that my bike's finally got some clothes, I am disappointed that eventhough I had specifically asked the painters to paint it in pearl white, and that it was agreed, I have been sent fairings in tippex white.

Secondly, the dust specs that got lacquered over, as well as the smudges that are the result of masking tapes being pulled off before the paint has dried properly, and wonky lettering are typical problems with cheap Chinese products that would otherwise have been great.

Thirdly, although the seller said that the screen and the fairing bolts were free, I got no bolts and the screen was significantly scratched. I wasn't entirely counting on their bolts, but to be told I was getting some and getting none is not good; and as I already have a Chinese double bubble screen, the clear screen will probably come in handy one day if/when I sell it... :|

Needless to say I will give the seller feedback and tell him of the issues.

As for where the heck did the painters get the inspiration for the blurb on the nose cone... I really dread to think. Paint fumes, perhaps?

Incidentally the seller's Ebay id is "needformoto" and the fairings were shipped from Hong Kong.

P.S. The fairings did come with that little V section that goes between the belly pans, I just did not take any pictures of it.

CBRNugget
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by CBRNugget » Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:30 pm

And for those who want to see the undersides of the fairings... they're basically oversprays and there's not much to look at.

The mounting points are "glued" on though they do seem to be quite secure.

Oh, and I didn't get any heat shield other - which was supposed to have come free with the fairings. :roll:

dunkenb
Reactions:

Post by dunkenb » Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:58 pm

Wonder if i can upgrade mine to cam gfar drive? :whistle:
Whats the quality of the abs plastic like? Maybe i'll get a plain set and get the vinyl done locally.
Still should tidy up you bike and the faults you list would only be noticed if you knew what you were looking for. 8-)

CBRNugget
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by CBRNugget » Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:39 pm

dunkenb wrote:Whats the quality of the abs plastic like?
Bearing in mind that the "only" comparisons that I can make are against the Honda fairings from the 80's, which are now truly vintage, these Chinese ones feel "acceptable", but mounting points and a twinge of brittleness may prove to be weaknesses in the long run.

So the saying goes - "making the shape vs doing the move". These fairings make a reasonable shape, but not quite doing the move like the original.

If the painters would take better care in the paint job, and the plastic had a little more "bounce", it would be a very darn good set. As it is, I'd rate it about 6.8/10.

As for the faults... I suppose a good sticker job would fix it up nicely. Or a full wrap!!

My bike:

dunkenb
Reactions:

Post by dunkenb » Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:26 pm

Your oe nose cone looks ok, can you not spay it up to go with chinese side panels at least when your sat on the bike it'll be ok?? 8-)