(Hi im new) looking at a cbr400 and need advise

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
Blubblub6
Settled in member
Reactions:
(Hi im new) looking at a cbr400 and need advise

Post by Blubblub6 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:03 pm

Hi everyone, been reading alot here but just registered :)

So im looking at a nc23, the owner has had it since 2007 and says he hasnt really been riding it since 2016(he said he did start it every now and then) , the bike starts but it needs a new battery.

i read alot about stator issues with these bikes so i thought im gonna check that, but then i wondered, if i bring a multimeter, is it gonna show correct charging voltages if the battery is probably drained?

And how far are those 3 stator wires buried within the bike as im not planning on pulling it apart on sight.
(And im not really sure where to put the + and - of the meter with those 3 stator wires)

The bike looks good and has a small dent in the tank he's asking 1500€ (or about 1300£?)

Thanks in advance

Blub

Bowches
Familiar Member
Reactions:
Bike owned: cbr 400 zxr 400 gsx 1300r
Re: (Hi im new) looking at a cbr400 and need advise

Post by Bowches » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:31 am

The CBR 400 in my opinion is a great bike to buy for A2 licence holders or any rider really.

The issues I have had with my CBR 400 are the alternator going (not charging the battery) and the fuel pump. I have had mine for nearly 4 years now since October 2014. Been amazing experience, it is definitely a very unique bike and with the SP Engineering can is very loud at times.

Get a mechanic or someone to come with you to see the CBR 400 is you are going to buy it.

I bought my bike from Regal Superbikes on Ebay and I had not even seen it in the flesh before sending my cash to the showroom owner of the bike.
He delivered it to my friends house because he had a garden to keep it in as I had not acquired my A2 licence at the time.
I got restrictors for it but then a few months later it started acting weird and as I removed the restrictors it was running back to normal, I still have one more test to go to be on an unrestricted licence but still have never put the restrictors back on.

GREAT BIKE THE CBR 400

Blubblub6
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Blubblub6 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:03 pm

Thanks for your answer!

I cant bring someone unfortunatly, because its on route from vacation to home, however i have some experience with mopeds and my honda rebel 125 bobber.
So i will notice some things if they arent right.

Im planning to keep this bike for a loooooong time if i buy it, so small things dont really matter as long as i dont have to pull the entire thing apart as im a student at the moment and dont have a lot of money.

Located in holland btw

Also its the nc23 1989 and it has dark red fairings with flames, is that original?

Ps. Why does the forum-website keep going down?
Or is it just me?

Blub

CB1pod70
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by CB1pod70 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:57 pm

If the battery is flat, then it won't give the true readings when you test it with a multimeter. The only real issues with these bikes are the stator & rectifier which are both easily available and you kind of expect to have to replace them so allow about £100-£150 to replace them.

Price is a little bit high for a bike with a dented tank and non standard paint job, so I suspect it has had a bit of a crash in the past

Blubblub6
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Blubblub6 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:04 pm

I bought it!

Picking it up on thursday

The bike has had some history, the current owner has had it since 2007 and before that her mom was the owner (when she was 18 she bought a cbr250rr but her mom thought the cbr400rr was to big for her so she switched it with her daughter)
(Her mom still has the 250rr)

She doesnt ride it anymore because of her kids and i checked everything with an multi meter and an extra full battery and it all was ok.

They said when after a service the garage didnt fit the fairing correctly and it fell of mid ride so they brought it back and the garage fixed it with an new chinese set of fairings because they couldn't find oem ones.

Sounds a bit sketchy but they were nice open people so i choose to believe it.

The dent in the tank happend with moving houses i also saw no corrolation damage of a crash from that angle

- edit - at least its has not been a track bike so i hope it will last for a while

Edit - photo

mbooth1
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by mbooth1 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:07 pm

Looks a nice bike -- after you have had a while post your findings and impressions. Would be interested. I've had mine just over a year, but only a couple of months up-and-running. I think for it's age and size it's an outstanding little bike.
Mike