CBR400 NC29 Race Bike (It lives again!!!)

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
Tuckshop1
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: FZR3TJ/ZXR400 H/NC29/ZXR400 L
CBR400 NC29 Race Bike (It lives again!!!)

Post by Tuckshop1 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:16 am

Long story short I used to own an NC29 race bike (Have a CBR/ZXR racing thread on here somewhere), sold it to buy a ZXR race bike and raced that for 2 years with great success. Ended up selling that earlier this year so help myself out money wise. Guy who bought it had my old NC29, came to a deal and I got some Cash and the NC back.

The bike looked as though it hadn't turned a wheel since I sold it, all good I was thinking, put some fuel in the bugger and away we go. Unfortunately this wasn't the case. I'm not sure quite how it was possible but they had mentioned the carbs had been 'ultrasonically cleaned' I think by this they meant dropped on the floor and broken :lol:

Basically the brown plastic fuel 'T' piece on them had been snapped and 2 of the air bleed screw castings has been snapped off as well! The time came round for me to stop relying on my Brother whose a race mechanic to fix all my bits. Got in contact with GF Racing and he got some parts off to me very quickly, 2 new carb banks and a billet 'T' piece. All that and some new 'O' rings and I was good to go. I don't think the carbs had even been split so it took a while to carefully get then 2 banks I needed off. I made sure I took pictures of every part of the carb set up I could prior to taking them apart, and obviously the manual really helped.

Once they were apart I put all new 'O' Rings on all removable pieces and greased up the joining rods so if they needed coming apart again they could. This was the first time I'd really attempted anything like this, especially with the carbs. The ZXR's are far, far easier to work on IMO just due to the space under the tank to get my big Cornish hands in toe fiddle with stuff :lol: this isn't the same on the CBR and one of the reasons I really didn't miss the bike too much, that and how small it is seat height wise compared to the ZXR. After a careful couple of evenings taking my time putting them back together (taking them apart again because I forgot to put certain parts back in :roll: ) I was happy with my work. My brother was sceptical for some unknown reason :mrgreen:

I took it over to JHS racing on the weekend to see if the old girl would fire up. After a little fiddling with a few bits the carbs were on, dummy fuel tank set up and we tried to start it. Once the fuel got round the carbs it tried to go straight away. One of the floats did get stuck but a soft tap with a hammer sorted that. From the bloke I got it back off saying it needed a rebuild, it took 2 carb banks, oil and some water and it fired up, very rough at first but once we got the carbs balanced it idled absolutely fine, revved fine as well. I was proper happy with myself for getting hands on and trying to fix it and it actually working. My brother obviously worked his magic with balancing the carbs etc and he's now putting the finishing touches on the bike this week ready for its sale again :smile:

I did want to race it again, I really did. But when I sat on it I honestly didn't know how I raced it in the first place, my knee's were in my ears and I'm only 5ft 11. but I did very much miss the sound it made, the Diashin ally headers with a custom link pipe and micron end can really did make a lovely noise, far nicer than the ZXR I had.

Its almost like the end of an era, once the 29 has gone it'll be the first time in almost 7 years I haven't owned a 400! something I'm not too happy about but needs must. I have no doubt I'll own one again, but after winning the Newcomers and Formula 400 championships with NG Road Racing last year I fancy a move up to a 600, so the sale of the CBR is going some way to starting my R6 5eb build from the ground up, starting with the purchase of an engine (and to get myself out of debt haha)

Either way im super happy the NC29 is running again after she wasnt looked after too well by its previous owner. Its a strong old bike and hopefully it'll live on for many years on the race track once its out of my hands!

Davez29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC29 forever
Re: CBR400 NC29 Race Bike (It lives again!!!)

Post by Davez29 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:39 pm

:-o :-o :-o We lose another NC29 owner.. Think of the bikes feelings, don't do it.. I suppose its like owning "old Shep" and then taking him for that last long walk. :grin: I cant even flat foot my 29, truely opposites..

Foxy400
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC35 NC29 Bonneville CBR600F4i

Post by Foxy400 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:02 pm

5'11"? I dream of being 5'11"! Well I don't really, but at 5'6" I am slightly envious :grin: However I am just about the perfect height for my NC35..and I have no problem on my Street Twin either, I can even push that backwards while sitting on it!

Bowches
Familiar Member
Reactions:
Bike owned: cbr 400 zxr 400 gsx 1300r

Post by Bowches » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:02 pm

Davez29 wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:39 pm
:-o :-o :-o We lose another NC29 owner.. Think of the bikes feelings, don't do it.. I suppose its like owning "old Shep" and then taking him for that last long walk. :grin: I cant even flat foot my 29, truely opposites..
I'm the next generation

cbr400rrn
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC29 CBR600F

Post by cbr400rrn » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:04 pm

You'll be back bwahahahaha :grin:

Well you will at some point own another after a period of longing and remembering what hilarious fun they were to ride. I'm talking about any of the 400's not just the nc29.
Had fun reading your write ups, drop back in once in a while.

Tuckshop1
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Tuckshop1 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:24 am

I'll definitely be back! My brothers still got his ZXR400 and about 5 engines kicking about in different states of build so I could always steal one, I doubt he'd notice :grin:

Not sure what it was about the 29, I had race rear sets on it which obvious brought the peg height up, also had a CBR600 shock fitted, just after shifting from a zxr to the Honda it feels like a mini moto, but I guess it would just take a couple of laps on a track and I'd get my head round it again.
Honestly really wish I could keep the thing but I know deep down using part of the money of the sale for financial stability would be more beneficial, although my head really is saying it wont haha.

I do have a pit bike supermoto to keep my busy and track/bike fit over the summer and indoor during the winter, i'll definitely have fun with this R6 build as well, but no doubt in my mind i'll definitely own a 400 again in the near future, 99% sure it'll be another track bike, not a far of the roads on sports bikes anymore after being on track only for a couple of years.

Big love to all the 400 family, may they all live on for years and years to come :rocks: bighug

Tuckshop1
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Tuckshop1 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:34 am

Soooo I got the old dear on the Dyno at JHS Racing in Bristol, really good guys down there and always a great help.

It posted a very healthy 58bhp with a far smoother curve than mine or my brothers old zxr's although they had 10bhp more :whistle:

Glad its finally running well again, really wish i could get out on it at a Bemsee round and ring its neck but I can't :| it'll be going off to a new home as of next week, but it does mean the new project can start, so thats a plus at least.

Long live the old Honda!

Dyno run:
https://youtu.be/11cq82HmVo8