WEIGHT OF MY CBR 400 NC29 1990 is.....

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
Davez29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC29 forever
Re: WEIGHT OF MY CBR 400 NC29 1990 is.....

Post by Davez29 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:17 pm

I dont know I just have no goals for another bike as it would mean I would have to get rid of my 400 due to no space and if there is no choice well I would rather keep the 400. I think I have this crazy idea about a vanvan being good for a meandering neverending journey that I would like to take. I think Ed March is to blame there. Maybe one day.

Yes sadly these 400 Supersportbikes are getting older and even the 600 class is now waining and are at that turning point of love or hate I guess. There are more people coming into biking that would pass out if you said they were decent bikes against their A2 friendly bike. Im sure the current crop of bikes are decent but they dont inspire me like the 29 has.

cbr400rrn
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC29 CBR600F

Post by cbr400rrn » Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:11 am

Do as davez29 has said with regard to the valve clearances and you won't go far wrong, as mentioned the camshaft will jump a tooth when tightening them up. I used a flat bladed screwdriver on the teeth (no pressure was really used it was just to hold the camshaft in place) as I was tightening it up to ensure it didn't jump a tooth again. I have done the clearances twice now so I'm ok with doing them, I did contact Graeme a few times to make sure I was doing it right though and he was the one who told me to be careful of them jumping a tooth.
I do take the engine out to do this though which is not necessary but gives me more space and I can see exactly what I'm doing and clean the bike/engine while I'm at it, getting into all the nooks and crannies i cannot usually reach.
As for the gasket go oe as these are the best, I know they are not cheap but they are a perfect fit.
I've had mine over 10 years now and it still brings a smile to my face when I open the garage door and rides like no other bike I have ever ridden, I even polished it last week just because I had a bit of time on my hands. Even though It hasn't turned a wheel in some time as I can't ride just at the moment.

Davez29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC29 forever

Post by Davez29 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:22 am

Hi, it's strange as I found I had to put a fair amount of counter pressure to to the driver as it was constantly trying to turn away from the correct teeth.

Anyhow, I should add that none of that will be needed if your not changing shims, all could be well when you test the clearance.

I agree the oem gasket should be obtained if possible but if not I still think the Chinese one would work, it is a little harder but it was identical in size and look., enough to make me triple check I had the right one in each hand.

From weight to A2 to shims, it's funny how posts evolve.

Bowches
Familiar Member
Reactions:
Bike owned: cbr 400 zxr 400 gsx 1300r

Post by Bowches » Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:15 pm

Lol I could go on talking about bikes all day long....and especially this CBR 400 :lol:

I am using the bike at 5:30am in the morning now to go from Edgware, north London to near Heathrow Airport....as I am now working for Honeywell Wheels and Brakes. We strip, service and repair wheels and brakes from Passenger and big Cargo planes like Fedex.

I have to be there at 6:20am sharp! This is to change and be ready at a group meeting at 6:30am Mon to Fri. I am looking for Engineering work as I graduated in Mechanical Engineering....unfortunately I did not do as well as I should off...so finding Engineering work has been hard. I am definitely good at Maths...got a few A grades at A level Maths...but when it comes to discipline, I'm not good....and waking up and being on time lol...im pretty bad at being on time.

But so far I have only been late twice when I started two weeks ago and we only get three warnings as they are aviation and they are really strict. Last year the company made 0 mistakes....I hope this job will lead to an Engineering job. In this job I have to deal with alot of heavy lifting of massive wheel hubs, grease and kerosene!

CBR 400 is doing really well...my friend changed the alternator in April and going very well every morning....I just have to make sure I put the choke cable before it gets too cold as I have to go 16 miles each way.

I have never done the valves as it says every 8000 miles to get valves checked in Haynes Manual and I got the bike whem it was 13750 miles and it is now very close to 27000 miles. I got the CBR 400 in oct 2014