I'm buying a new clutch for CBR 400 NC29...which one?

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
Bowches
Familiar Member
Reactions:
Bike owned: cbr 400 zxr 400 gsx 1300r
I'm buying a new clutch for CBR 400 NC29...which one?

Post by Bowches » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:50 pm

Hi all

I am going to buy a new clutch for my CBR 400 NC29....what should I buy? Also I am going to CADWELL PARK RACE TRACK on the 25th of June 2017(this month). Please can someone give me advice on what I should buy?

Thank you

Davez29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC29 forever
Re: I'm buying a new clutch for CBR 400 NC29...which one?

Post by Davez29 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:05 pm

There are more experienced members here than me, remembering I just done my first clutch recently. So I can only give a few vague tips to look for, until someone else can answer better. Remember to check my old post though it may help you out as I wrote it within a day of doing it.

So my thoughts are. I would go for either OEM or EBC, leave the no name brand stuff alone. Do you just want to change the friction plates or a full kit? the full kit will include the steel plates and springs. While in theory just changing the friction plates may be fine there is a thought that says the stack height may not be right so also changing the steel plates would give a closer original stack height. Also a full kit gives you heavy duty springs. To be honest I notice no difference from my old springs when pulling the lever. I half expected hand ache, it did not happen. I bought the EBC SRK kit around £85 on ebay.

Bowches
Familiar Member
Reactions:

Post by Bowches » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:29 pm

Hi Davez29,

Thanks again for the help. Yes I have seen the EBC Clutch kit for sale on Ebay and I am going to buy that one as well, same as yourself.

Thanks again for the info.....

Davez29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Davez29 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:33 am

Ok then. A couple of things to bare in mind. The kit has one too many springs just ignore it. Bathe the plates in fresh oil, I left them overnight. One of the friction plates is different from the rest, it goes on last. The springy metal spacer must go on the correct way, so take apart carefully and note it down or consult the Haynes manual for reference.

Bowches
Familiar Member
Reactions:

Post by Bowches » Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:18 pm

Davez29 wrote:Ok then. A couple of things to bare in mind. The kit has one too many springs just ignore it. Bathe the plates in fresh oil, I left them overnight. One of the friction plates is different from the rest, it goes on last. The springy metal spacer must go on the correct way, so take apart carefully and note it down or consult the Haynes manual for reference.

Hi Davez29.....

I just bought the EBC Full kit for £85 pounds on Ebay.....getting the bike ready for the trackday....I also drilled some holes into the fairing because they were flapping around next to the indicator (the tab broke). Now the fairings is beautifully held tight with small zip tapes. Now the other thing I need to do is change my old, broken and slightly slipping throttle plastic tube and grip. The grip sliiping can be fixed with some sort of glue I've heard, but a new Honda Plastic Throttle is in my cupboard ready to fit on the throttle cables.

What else....I put on new steel braided hoses, LOL I spent 1 week commuting to work in London with only the back BRAKE LOL. i PUT THE New steel braided lines on the front...but I couldnt seem to bleed the brakes and all the bike workshops were full and my local mechanic was only available on Friday (yesterday)....so I waited till Friday and spent the whole week on the back brake only as I did not fit any new brake line at the back.

I feel the difference slightly with the steel braided lines, the brakes feel harder at the lever and less sponginess.

I will check all Fluids and screws everywhere on Friday next week.....

Davez29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Davez29 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:35 pm

Yes bleeding brakes with new lines can be a pain but i found the best way was to back bleed them from the caliper via a syringe, doing this way pushes the pistons out. Then once its filling the reservoir without air bleed as normal to be sure. Voila.. done.

Bowches
Familiar Member
Reactions:

Post by Bowches » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:57 am

Hi Davez29....

Yea I got it done by the mechanic anyway for 30 pounds so not too bad....1 thing I want to ask you is....he said to put a zip tape on the brake lever compressed overnight....Do you think it will make a huge difference....

Thanks

Davez29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Davez29 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:34 pm

From what i remember you do that to help get any remaining air bubbles out. I would have thought if he had done it right you would not need to do this. But, no harm in following what he asks.

Foxy400
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC35 NC29 Bonneville CBR600F4i

Post by Foxy400 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:15 am

Bowches wrote:
Davez29 wrote:Ok then. A couple of things to bare in mind. The kit has one too many springs just ignore it. Bathe the plates in fresh oil, I left them overnight. One of the friction plates is different from the rest, it goes on last. The springy metal spacer must go on the correct way, so take apart carefully and note it down or consult the Haynes manual for reference.

Hi Davez29.....

I just bought the EBC Full kit for £85 pounds on Ebay.....getting the bike ready for the trackday....I also drilled some holes into the fairing because they were flapping around next to the indicator (the tab broke). Now the fairings is beautifully held tight with small zip tapes. Now the other thing I need to do is change my old, broken and slightly slipping throttle plastic tube and grip. The grip sliiping can be fixed with some sort of glue I've heard, but a new Honda Plastic Throttle is in my cupboard ready to fit on the throttle cables.

What else....I put on new steel braided hoses, LOL I spent 1 week commuting to work in London with only the back BRAKE LOL. i PUT THE New steel braided lines on the front...but I couldnt seem to bleed the brakes and all the bike workshops were full and my local mechanic was only available on Friday (yesterday)....so I waited till Friday and spent the whole week on the back brake only as I did not fit any new brake line at the back.

I feel the difference slightly with the steel braided lines, the brakes feel harder at the lever and less sponginess.

Using your bike for a week without a functioning front brake is ridiculous and at the worst inconsiderate :down: You are putting other people in danger as well as yourself. If you can't stop quickly enough in an emergency situation (possibly created by another road user such as one of London's infamous cycle riders) how are you going to explain to anyone injured (or worse), as well as the cops, that you thought it would be ok to knowingly spend a week on a bike with less than half it's usual braking system in operation? And don't expect your insurance company to willingly cough up for the damage, we all know how good they are at finding any reason not to pay out. Imagine if you were hit by a car and discovered that the driver was only using part of the car's braking system, would you be thinking 'LOL' as you were picking up the pieces? I doubt it. You're more likely to be going fucking mental and complaining about it on this forum.

Bowches
Familiar Member
Reactions:

Post by Bowches » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:59 pm

Foxy400 wrote:
Bowches wrote:

Hi Davez29.....

Using your bike for a week without a functioning front brake is ridiculous and at the worst inconsiderate :down: You are putting other people in danger as well as yourself. If you can't stop quickly enough in an emergency situation (possibly created by another road user such as one of London's infamous cycle riders) how are you going to explain to anyone injured (or worse), as well as the cops, that you thought it would be ok to knowingly spend a week on a bike with less than half it's usual braking system in operation? And don't expect your insurance company to willingly cough up for the damage, we all know how good they are at finding any reason not to pay out. Imagine if you were hit by a car and discovered that the driver was only using part of the car's braking system, would you be thinking 'LOL' as you were picking up the pieces? I doubt it. You're more likely to be going fucking mental and complaining about it on this forum.

Yes Sorry about that.....should have gone by train actually rather than going by bike....

Wont happen again...if there is something wrong with any vehicle that I drive/ride....I will not not driving/riding it.

YES i was thinking the same thing if A car was using only part of its braking system that would be extremely dangerous
I will never be doing that again.....Train does cost alot more to use....but I will happily use it in this sort of situation