I had an incident, bike shop diagnose as OK - Input please!

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
abers89
Settled in member
Reactions:
I had an incident, bike shop diagnose as OK - Input please!

Post by abers89 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:46 am

So I had stupid moment by that I mean i'm an idiot and shouldn't be allowed to work near bikes.

I went to fit the new handle bars on my CBR400 at the weekend, had the bike on a paddock stand and a jack underneath it was all supported well. (it wasn't)

I dropped the forks out of the top yoke and all was going well, next thing i know the bike slips off the jack then off the paddock stand and basically collapses.

The problem being the forks where still on the bike; albeit all the pinch bolts were loose, but what happened was the forks obviously tried to find there way out as they were no longer held in place but couldn't because the angle meant they jammed in the bottom yoke.

I couldn't hold the bike and let it go.

By this time the bottom yoke fork clamps had twisted and were pinning the forks in. Hard to describe but the forks wouldn't budge because the hole for them to go through wasn't straight as yoke clamps had bent up.

A bit like this. (looking at them straight on)

So we knocked with a hammer the yoke fork clamps back straight again so the forks would slot through, the gap between the clamps was quite larger but with some more hammering they got close and eventually the pinch bolts would go through ok and pulled everything tight.

I got everything back together and the bike standing again,

Things i have noted:

>The stanchions didn't look bent and were free from any major marks or dinks
>The bottom yoke didn't look damaged and there didn't seem to be any stress cracks or marks
>The frame etc took a hit but only a scratch
>The gear lever was bent but now straightened
>When fully compressing the forks when stationery there is an odd crunch / springy feel right at the bottom of the reach

With all this said I still took it to a local bike shop to check it over. They have come back saying the forks are not bent, the yoke looks ok and nothing is adrift.

I am not an expert and to be fair the bike does ride fine but it does have that noise mentioned above (only noticed when stationery) and the state it was in I just can't believe there was nothing wrong with the bike. I was amazed the yoke fork clamps hammered back together they seemed malleable rather than a solid piece of metal.

Sorry for the long post and rambling but I thought why not.

Cheers

CB1pod70
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Re: I had an incident, bike shop diagnose as OK - Input plea

Post by CB1pod70 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:35 pm

The bottom yokes on these are cast steel and so should be fairly malleable.
Without seeing the bike, it's always difficult to judge so maybe your best bet would be to take it to another bike shop for a second opinion if you're still not sure.
It does sound like you should be ok though and i doubt the impact from falling off the stands will have been that great. Having crashed my NC23 a few times on track, they are surprisingly tough little bikes.

Davez29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC29 forever

Post by Davez29 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:00 am

Looks like your having a similar problem as Bowches in the other section, maybe glean something from that post. Your clicking maybe inner fork bushes related and maybe a strip down is required looking for any worn parts.

abers89
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by abers89 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:04 am

Thanks for the replies guys. I have given it a few good rides out and I can't say that anything feels amiss so I think its just a physiological thing now!

I think i'll get someone to rebuild to the forks as they are very soft and that may uncover something and if it doesn't then not much more I can do!

Thanks again, tis a helpful little place this!

Davez29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC29 forever

Post by Davez29 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:27 pm

LOL. I used to have the original springs in and whenever I pulled the brake I thought it was plowing a field it went that far down to the point of being dangerous, scary moments spring to mind (phew!). If you can afford it replace the springs and oil. One of the two best improvements I have done. The other was replacing the rear shock with a Shock Factory M shock. You know it makes sense and will help keep you on the road the sunnyside up.

amorti
Reactions:
Bike owned: CB-1, MSX125

Post by amorti » Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:11 am

That crunching you describe doesn't sound right at all. If you jack up safely (!) and slacken off all pinch bolts one side at a time, if the forks are straight they should rotate freely but if they're bent, they won't be able to rotate. I guess that a twisted yoke could give the same symptoms but never seen it myself.