What did you do to your bike today

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
cbr400rrn
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC29 CBR600F
What did you do to your bike today

Post by cbr400rrn » Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:35 pm

Hope this becomes a permanent feature.

I will start, today I had to change a few shims on my NC29 as they were out of tolerence on the exhaust side. Well all 8 needed changing to be fair but the inlets were ok this time.
Camshaft put back on and cam cover too (rocker cover gasket was a pain in the arse to get right.)
Also rubbed down and painted the standard downpipes with PJ1 exhaust paint.
Hopefully will get the engine back in the bike tomorrow.

Right watcha all done?

Davez29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC29 forever
Re: What did you do to your bike today

Post by Davez29 » Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:10 pm

Hi, well as it happens for the first time since 2008, wnen I bought my bike, the bike went on SORN on the 1st Feb. I have resisted the urge to put it back on the roads until the 1st March, It has been hard to leave it lying there (I have a 42" background picture of it on my PC TV, so I can remember what it looks like) and I haven't even looked at it in the metal until today. So to day hearing all the bikes passing by and im off work I decided to get it ready for its MOT, apart from cleaning it and oiling the chain I really could not find anything to do, I might give the tyres a bit air, otherwise good to go.

dave

cbr400rrn
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by cbr400rrn » Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:08 pm

Nice one Davez29

Got the engine in after I cleaned the frame and swingarm, New carb rubbers, tightened the chain again just need carbs, airbox, tank, exhaust back on and fairing then it's ready for the road again (to an mot station)

dunkenb
Reactions:
Bike owned: Cbr400rr nc29 type8 NSR250

Post by dunkenb » Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:45 pm

MOT'd mine last Friday , went straight through no issues. Ride her every day to work, wish it was a bit warmer tho!! 8-)

cbr400rrn
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by cbr400rrn » Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:06 pm

Managed to get the carbs on after stripping them down for a clean, surprising how much crap was in the float bowls, that carb cleaner is good stuff but doesn't half make you head spin when using it indoors :stupid:
I've got a starting problem still on number 1 cylinder, that's why I pulled it down and tomorrow will see if all 4 plugs are sparking on start up. New plug leads were put on around 4 years ago I think it was.
Anyway will find out tomorrow hopefully and then I can rule those out

Davez29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC29 forever

Post by Davez29 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:04 pm

Well im back on the road.

On Friday I got insured via MCE online, started to regret it due to getting no confirmation of any insurance, not an email, nowt, zilch. askMID wasnt going to show anything until the 29th at the earliest and my MOT was early that morning. I got worried about this lack of confirmation as no replies from MCE email and couldnt log on to their site with the info given. Admitidly it was the upcoming weekend but still, something would have been nice.

Then Saturday early hours I got a totally blank email, no attachments which was headed "Motorcycle Insurance Documents".. where were they? Sent another email, no reply. I was starting to worry by then. I tried again early hours Monday morning to log on their site as I should have been insured by then and Bingo! I could log on and read my documents, well apart from the policy which was a totally blank pdf, whats that about? So I now had proof if I get stopped on the way to the MOT. It still was not showing on askMID but by the time I got home it was up on askMid.

So all is well, although I did get an email off MCE asking me to comment on their site about my dealings with them, stealthy and quiet would be the only thing i could say really. Lets hope I dont have to claim as their reviews are way down the league of goodness, goes back to the AA next year I think.

cbr400rrn
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by cbr400rrn » Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:47 pm

Balanced the carbs and took the rear brake disc off, masked up the braking surface and will buy a rattle can of primer tomorrow.

craigs23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: Quite a few

Post by craigs23 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:07 pm

It wasn't today, but spent a little time on Saturday giving the back end a bit of a spruce. I love the smell of paraffin in the morning 8-)

cbr400rrn
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by cbr400rrn » Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:53 pm

Found a couple of tiny droplets of coolant on the top of the gearbox casing, bollox where has that come from! Tank, airbox and carbs back off.
Found the problem I hope. It's the coolant delivery/return (unsure what it's called) from the engine block, a rubber o ring had gone brittle and decided to cry enough is enough when the engine had cooled down.
I changed the o ring topped the coolant back up that I had lost from replacing said o ring and ran it up to temp, tomorrow I will see if that was the real cause of the leak. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

gravis
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by gravis » Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:48 am

Cleaned and lubed up chain. Gave a visual inspection and noticed a few rusting bolts that need a kurust treatment.