NC30 engine rebuild

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
gammakeith
Settled in member
Reactions:
NC30 engine rebuild

Post by gammakeith » Wed Dec 13, 2023 11:03 am

Dear all,

I've just torn down our slightly sick NC30 engine as it was burning far too much oil (smoking on hard acceleration) and following my wife was getting rather smelly :grin: It started fine and ran nicely so otherwise was good. Importantly, the bores (standard), cranks and shell bearings are all very good and reusable so I shall rebuild this engine rather than seek out another.

I've not found any major reasons for the oil burning though the front two cylinders were lower on compression and one side had deposits in the combustion chamber. My immediate thought is that I am most likely looking at damaged valve seals and/or worn/stuck pistons rings though I have not yet examined all the parts in detail.

I propose using a pattern gasket sets and seals for the rebuild though I will purchase genuine head gaskets. I see no need to buy genuine Honda valve guide seals but I am torn on what to do about pistons rings. I would like to use genuine Honda but ~£200 for a set seems a tad excessive. Can anyone recommend any good alternatives please?

I'm used to rebuilding engines (albeit mostly 2 strokes) but would certainly appreciate any input on anything in particular to look out for.

Thanks!

Keith

magg
Reactions:
Bike owned: VFR400
Re: NC30 engine rebuild

Post by magg » Thu Dec 14, 2023 2:42 am

Have you tried en.impex-jp.com for the piston rings.

gammakeith
Settled in member
Reactions:
Re: NC30 engine rebuild

Post by gammakeith » Thu Dec 14, 2023 7:52 am

magg wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2023 2:42 am
Have you tried en.impex-jp.com for the piston rings.
No, I shall give that a go. I did notice that there is an ebay seller in Japan that is selling genuine piston rings quite a bit cheaper. However, I was worried that they would get slapped with import duty. When I have ordered from the far east in the past its been a bit of a lottery if they get through customs without extra charges.

Many thanks!

Keith