93' CB400 ignition issues

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
buckfastaddict
Settled in member
Reactions:
93' CB400 ignition issues

Post by buckfastaddict » Wed Feb 16, 2022 4:33 pm

Bought a grey import CB400SF a couple weeks ago, bike looked/ran sweet and had good service history. Ran fine for two weeks until I started noticing a slight leak at the petcock (this has since been resolved) but in the meantime I switched the fuel of after every ride. If I leave the fuel off for more than a day the bike won't start when I come back to it. First time this happened it eventually made a loud bang (backfire?) and then started up and ran no issues. Now I am faced with the same issue (strong starter motor but engine wont engage). Spark plugs look good, fuel is flowing to the carbs, battery is holding good charge and the kill switch is not engaged.

Tried posting this to a few other forums but didn't get much help. Next step is to remove the carbs and clean them out but it is quite a big step up from my single carbed previous bike. Are there any good resources online showing how to remove and reinstall the carbs? Having trouble finding resources in English.

Any help is greatly appreciated.