Where to find NC35 oil pan gasket?

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
Foxy400
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC35 NC29 Bonneville CBR600F4i
Re: Where to find NC35 oil pan gasket?

Post by Foxy400 » Sat Feb 19, 2022 10:38 am

I'm guessing you're a bit of a youngster then, at least compared to the rest of us (sorry chaps, I have no idea how old the rest of you are ;) ). I see you've got several bikes listed. They all 400's? Are they all on the road, or are any of them 'projects'?

tailongwan
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: GSF ZXR RVF FZR GSXR

Post by tailongwan » Sat Feb 19, 2022 12:43 pm

Euh... When I look "youngster" translation into french, you mean young ?? I will be 50 within in a couple of years... I wish I were younger :D !

I have 5, all of them are 400cc: when I got my licence in 1995, I bought a GSF 400 bandit,then I sold it in 1999 to buy a car (wife+children+big cars+no motorbike...).
Then I bought again in 2013 anoterh GSF400 ('93) I still have today, I bought a ZXR400 L5 ('95) in 2015, then a NC35 ('94) in UK in july 2018 (I did homologation in France to be able to register it, I wrote on my website how I did it), then a FZR400 ('92) in 2019, and finally a GSXR400RM ('91) in Germany in 2021 (I regsitered as "old vehicle" in France). Indeed both RVF400 and GSXR400 were never sold commercially in France, so you cannot go on the road except if you go through homologation (I did for NC35 but quite expensive) or if the bike is more than 30 years so you can register as "collection" (I did this for the GSXR400).

Sometimes I look at NC29 or NC30, but there are really expensive ! compared to what I pay for each of my bikes. Also look at some Monster 400 in Italy, quite interesting but not really the same fun (2 cylinders, 43cv).

With these bike, there is always something to do ! brakes, forks, oil leak, electric issues, carbs cleaning and tuning, this is my hobby ;-)

Foxy400
Reactions:

Post by Foxy400 » Tue Feb 22, 2022 3:58 pm

That's quite a collection you've got there. Any particular favourite? If you could only keep one, which would it be? I would be hard pressed to choose between the NC35 and NC29.
We're more fortunate in the UK because we don't have homologation like you do. We can buy an imported bike, register it for the road and get it MOT'd (a Ministry of Transport test to check it's roadworthy..not expensive). In fact very old bikes don't even need an MOT. The only tricky bit might be getting it insured, but 400cc insurance is usually reasonable.
You're right that there is always something that needs doing. That's one of the reasons I bought the (2017) Bonneville, just press the starter and it goes and if anything was to go wrong my local dealer is only down the road.
Now then, if you're thinking of increasing your collection I have a Yamaha XS400 (1980) going spare. It's a bit of a 'project' but I'm sure you could see it as a challenge. Let me know if you're interested.

tailongwan
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by tailongwan » Wed Feb 23, 2022 1:44 pm

Honestly it is very difficult to give a preference. If I could keep only one, it would be probably the NC35 because of the global design & the valuation!
The first I would sell would be FZR400, but don't tell her ;)
I like to ride all of them, one after the other. GSXR400 is very dynamic, ZXR400 is so agressive, FZR is more linear but good acceleration (but so impossible to see in the mirrors!)
I am only interested in 90s version 400cc, mainly 4 cylinders, with revs higher than 10k! Not interested really in XS400, even if nice, but I would prefer a Kawasaki Zephyr 400, or CB400SF , but very difficult to find

MadMotoUK
Familiar Member
Reactions:
Bike owned: FZR400,600, CBR893

Post by MadMotoUK » Wed Feb 23, 2022 7:19 pm

Let me know if you do decide to sell the FZR. A good excuse to see my uncle who lives in Nonancourt.

Foxy400
Reactions:

Post by Foxy400 » Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:39 am

Don't blame you for not being interested in the XS400. I bought it several years ago. It's one of those nasty 1980's attempts by the Japanese to copy the Harley-style bikes and chopper type things. I rode it briefly to check it ran ok, which it did, although the carbs clearly needed sorting. Bloody horrible bike, but it meant I had no problem with cutting it up. It was also a chance for me to practise motorbike DIY. I stripped it down, cut lumps off the frame, got the frame and wheels powder coated and wheels rebuilt. Carbs stripped etc. Made a custom seat. Fabricated a battery box and undertray for the electrics. Fitted new lights, indicators and more. But then there were problems with both the '35 and '29, so the XS went on hold..and it's hardly moved on since. That was 3 years ago. The next big step will be to make a totally new, custom loom but I'm reluctant to start. It's a bit daunting and I could end up throwing good money after bad. I'd ask around £900, with all the bits (most new), except for the loom. So if anyone's interested.. :lol:

tailongwan
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by tailongwan » Thu Feb 24, 2022 6:19 pm

MadMotoUK wrote:
Sat Feb 12, 2022 8:03 pm
If you've managed to remove the gasket in one piece, just buy a sheet of gasket paper and make one.
I followed your advice MadMotoUK but I scanned the oil pan instead of using the old gasket since it was just impossible to remove without tearing it.

I bought Artein universal paper 0.5mm thickness 400°C and hollow punch set in Amazon

I printed it on paper, and kept paper in the middle to preserve good shape

Then I draw around to get the right shape

Cut the inner part with a cutter

Punch the hole with 6mm diameter hollow punch

Cut outer part with scissors (need small ones...)

And that's it! Not perfect but it fits properly on the oil pan (even if it not so clear on the picture) and you can see I cleant the oil pan ;-)

MadMotoUK
Familiar Member
Reactions:
Bike owned: FZR400,600, CBR893

Post by MadMotoUK » Thu Feb 24, 2022 7:34 pm

Looks good bud.