Workshop recommendations - south east

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
cbr400rrn
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC29 CBR600F
Re: Workshop recommendations - south east

Post by cbr400rrn » Fri Mar 04, 2022 8:29 pm

Not a clue sorry, if i can’t do it i ask on here but i have sent my carbs to GF in the past to get them cleaned, dynojet kit and set up for the bike. What about a WhatsApp group (i can use whatsapp unless someone knows of a better social media type of thing?)

MadMotoUK
Familiar Member
Reactions:
Bike owned: FZR400,600, CBR893

Post by MadMotoUK » Sat Mar 05, 2022 1:14 am

cbr400rrn wrote:
Fri Mar 04, 2022 8:29 pm
What about a WhatsApp group (i can use whatsapp unless someone knows of a better social media type of thing?)
Sounds good :peace:

Foxy400
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC35 NC29 Bonneville CBR600F4i

Post by Foxy400 » Sat Mar 05, 2022 4:17 pm

I'm up for the WhatsApp group. At least give it a go and see what happens. Hey, I can even post pictures on WhatsApp!

Volunteer to set it up? I'll do it if no-one else wants to. We need to exchange details via a PM.

Foxy400
Reactions:

Post by Foxy400 » Sat Mar 05, 2022 4:27 pm

MadMotoUK wrote:
Fri Mar 04, 2022 6:34 pm
Dave The Frame, 5 mins from my gaffe just north of Birmingham.

Proper old school guy, mainly does customs. He's my MOT go to place.

He keeps threatening to retire and I keep offering to buy the business but he's still there :lol:
Has Dave the Frame worked on 400 V-4's? Only asking because I know a competent bike mechanic (that I've used for various bikes) who openly admits he wouldn't take one on. He said they're too complicated and too small for his hands! And like I said, two recommended workshops (both with good reviews) cocked-up. The V-4's need people with experience on these engines.
I asked GF if he could suggest a replacement (this was before Andrew Pocock came on the scene) and he said he hadn't come across anyone he would recommend. A bit worrying.

Foxy400
Reactions:

Post by Foxy400 » Sat Mar 05, 2022 4:34 pm

I did come across this place while looking back through this forum. The Motorcycle Workshop, Bolney, W.Sussex. The owner, Tony, has experience of successfully racing NC30's. I don't know if he's still in the race game but his business is still in operation and he's still there. Unfortunately that's a long way from me.

I've just joined the Vintage Jap Motorcycle Club (£30/year) because I know owners of V4's are members and I've see NC35's and NC30's on their stands. Might be useful.

matt74
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by matt74 » Wed Jun 01, 2022 12:42 pm

Hello gents, apologies for not spotting the replies earlier.

Situation still the same in that I’ve not got any more leads on places to take the bike. MCW is near me and definitely an option. I also have a neighbour making some enquiries as he’s into older bikes too and as a bit of a network he can ask.

Problem with mine is still the same. Plugs were oiling up even if the bike isn’t touched i.e pop them out, clean them, back in, don’t touch the bike at all, 2 weeks later traces of oil on the plugs and threads too so looks like oil going down not coming up (I hope).

So, when I finally get my act together and sort a visit to a workshop somewhere I’ll be aiming to get it back to being a runner. But I’m definitely keeping it. Only problem is I bought another bike so it’s not getting the attention it deserves!

Rest assured, when I do get to the bottom of it I’ll post updates to share the knowledge here or any other forum that follows.

CMSMJ1
Moderators
Moderators
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC30-No9

Post by CMSMJ1 » Wed Jun 01, 2022 4:19 pm

Oil on the threads - as in external to the cylinder head?

I would sometimes see that but perhaps you jsut need to be sure that the plugs are properly torqued in? Does it actually run? You sure you;re not getting oil into the plug recesses and that is getting on the tips as you drag them out?

Airbox breather all in place and it not generally being minging under there?
IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM

The V4 is the law..

NC30 - No9 - my old mate

matt74
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by matt74 » Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:04 pm

This is what a plug looks like when I pull it out. It’ll get like this even I I don’t start it or move it. Have to say I haven’t pulled the plus out in ages since taking this picture.

If I left it no more than a week it would start but not easily. 2 weeks and it won’t fire up by which time the plugs are all oiled up. Eventually the plugs died so fresh set in and worked straight away, then those oiled up etc.

I do have another thread running on this if you prefer to pick it up there.

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=55646&start=10