Puddle of coolant

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
Simonfr
Settled in member
Reactions:
Puddle of coolant

Post by Simonfr » Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:11 pm

So took the NC35 for a spin today. Lovely warm day (again).
Gets home, and and puts her away. 5 mins later, came back out to her. Puddle of coolant at the sidestand..... and i think i could hear the expansion tank water bubbling :o
So, moved her back a bit onto a dry bit in the garage. leaves her to cool down. Goes shopping....
Comes back, opens up the top radiator. Full of coolant. Opens the expansion bottle. Half full. No new puddles. 8-)

When i got her MOTd, i had to remove the top radiator to get brazed/welded, as it had been dripping coolant over the winter. But never drained the 'bottom half '. Put the radiator back on, and topped up. This hasnt happened before this year. Checked the manual, apparently theres a seal setup at the water pump where seals go to stop water and oil mixing and theres a hole to exacuate liquid. Nothin obvious there. And the system is still full.

I can only surmise it was the expansion overflow causing the puddle with her having been out on a hot day. I can only assume theres no airlock perhaps as the temperature guage never went above 1/2. and squeezing the hoses squidges the water...... Still strange tho...

Anyone got any good ideas or concur with my assessment? Cheers

sand380
Settled in member
Reactions:
Re: Puddle of coolant

Post by sand380 » Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:11 pm

sounds like waterpump seal has failed.
my Ns400 one failed which is almost identical system as the nc30.

few drops would come out after use.

Simonfr
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Simonfr » Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:40 am

Got this from a kawasaki forum.

https://www.riderforums.com/threads/bub ... ge.104816/

,What's funny is that I had the same thing a while back, right around the time I was having other coolant issues that were unrelated. 99.9% if you take off your radiator cap, apply a thin layer of grease to the part that seals against the mouth of the radiator, that will solve the problem. The .1% is you need a new cap. Post back and let us know what happens.
I actually got the tip from my local dealer when I went in to buy a new cap. We got to chatting about it and he shared that with me, even at the risk of losing the sale on the part. So I'm glad to pass it on to others.'

Will try this first off. Im not really convinced its from the water pump as it had ejected the water closer to the sidestand, and the underside water pump was dry. Likely from expansion overflow pipe. If this doesnt work, next stop try a new radiator cap....

CMSMJ1
Moderators
Moderators
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC30-No9

Post by CMSMJ1 » Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:29 am

The drain from the expansion is down at the bottom and near the stand.

Soounds like it has just found it's level and working as designed to me
IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM

The V4 is the law..

NC30 - No9 - my old mate