RVF goes pop...... ideas?

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
Simonfr
Settled in member
Reactions:
RVF goes pop...... ideas?

Post by Simonfr » Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:48 pm

Have an RVF400, 1996. Got it out its winter bike bag today, wheeled it to the place i wanted it, put the fully charged battery in and went to turn it over just to get the oil about (like ive done many times before). Put it in gear and pushed it to make sure the engine wasnt seized or anything. All good.
Turned on the ignition, all good, lights on, headlight on etc. Pressed the starter. POP......

So, ive checked all the fuses, all good, no blown fuse, not even the main 30A fuse. The wiring diagram suggests that the power goes from the battery, through the main fuse, through the regulator/rectifier, then onward to the electrics main such as switches etc....
Anyone had this before? could it be the starter solenoid? (although the diagram only suggests thats for the well starter). The VF400s regulator rectifiers are made of chocolate. This the potential main culprit?
Just ordered new plugs (Denso) and about to get my leaky upper radiator fixed too, anything else for my shopping list?

MadMotoUK
Familiar Member
Reactions:
Bike owned: FZR400,600, CBR893
Re: RVF goes pop...... ideas?

Post by MadMotoUK » Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:28 pm

Possible reg/rec may be faulty (last VFR I had I fitted a 5EB R6 one). However, that wouldn't normally stop the bike turning over. I'd start looking for a bad connection somewhere if the fuses are ok. I assume you've done a continuity check on them rather than just a visual check? Sometimes fuses can look ok but be open circuit on a meter. I'm also assuming the "pop" you describe is electrical rather than mechanical?

Simonfr
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Simonfr » Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:36 am

It was strange how it all worked well, pressed the starter button, it went to turn over for a split second then, nothing. No power at all all lights out. Nothing on the turn of the key.
All the fuses are good, they were tested with multimeter and replaced for spares too for good measure. None blown. No burning sound or smell. The 'magic smoke' hasnt been let out anywhere. The battery is good, still measures 13.1v.
I will test the earths later today, but its the strangest thing. Id have at least expected blown fuses, smoke or even a failt flicker of life is if a dodgy earth!
The wiring diagram infers the main power for the electrics goes through the starter relay but only the fuse to the wiring loom.
Will start tracing through once ive removed all the plastics and covers etc.....

CMSMJ1
Moderators
Moderators
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC30-No9

Post by CMSMJ1 » Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:00 pm

Does the key turn the bike on? Oil light, neutral light?

I'd put my ten pence on the fuse that covers the dash - replace it anyways or swap with known good one.
IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM

The V4 is the law..

NC30 - No9 - my old mate

Simonfr
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Simonfr » Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:23 pm

Removed all the plastics, checked all the fuses again, tested all the cables continuity and earths again. All good.

Flummoxed, tried the 'spanner across the solenoid terminals' trick. This would run the starter regardless of the electrics....

Nothing, absolutely nothing. Tested the battery. 13V.

Went and got some jump leads and connected another battery up. Voila, lights, bells, whistles.

Thats what i get for trusting the battery........ volts, but zero current given. New battery time. Mildly annoying because its not that old and was cared for. Exide. Thats the 3rd Exide ive had a bad experience with. (GPZ500 and Suzuki Quad).

MadMotoUK
Familiar Member
Reactions:
Bike owned: FZR400,600, CBR893

Post by MadMotoUK » Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:23 pm

Yuasa aren't too bad if you're on a mid range budget.

Personally I use cheap Powerline/Enduroline batteries I get trade from Tayna. They tend to last around 3 years. Batteries for my 'Blade are around £18, Hornet and FZRs £16, the EXUP is a weird one though so I have to spend a bit more for a Yuasa, around £40.

Simonfr
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Simonfr » Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:33 pm

Cheers MadMoto.

Ordered a Powerline one. Get it Monday. Plugs are about to be replaced and top radiator is a bit porous near the inlet, so its off to go get brazed. So far so good!

tailongwan
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: GSF ZXR RVF FZR GSXR

Post by tailongwan » Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:49 pm

I had the same trouble with my NC35. The Yuasa YTX7A-BS was suspicious... I tried to put a 12 to 220v converter on the battery, and a lamp connected to it ;-). It lasted only 20 secondes! So it means the battery is dead, whereas i can charge it, and the voltage is 12.6v!
Did you solve your problem also with the new battery?

magg
Reactions:
Bike owned: VFR400

Post by magg » Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:48 pm

Battery failure modes include shorted and open circuit cells. Shorts give reduced voltage, rarely more than 11v, resulting in poor performance while open cells give good voltage readings with no load but no voltage under load. When fault finding strange electrical issues a check of the battery voltage under load can be helpful.