A bit of bother with paint colour.

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
Sunnyday
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: UK NC30 17" Rear.
A bit of bother with paint colour.

Post by Sunnyday » Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:39 pm

Hi Guys,

Subject RWB NC30 Type 1 (RC30 kind of style of paintwork).

I have just ordered and received some 1k spray paint in cans from RS Paints i masked off the wystiria blue (the light one) on the quater panel to flash it in and tidy it to find its a darker colour of blue..... nightmare. I have sent a picture to RS Paints late on Thursday just before they shut I am yet to see if we can get to a resolve i hope it was simply made up wrong as on inspection it is way of to the original fuel tank colour. My question is are there any other suppliers that can put the colour in cans for these bike.

Any help would be great in case i need another avenue, bizarley the bike was repainted from a gun around 14 years ago using paint supplied by RS Paints so i am at a loss until i have spoken to them tomorrow.

My regards.

Sunnyday
Settled in member
Reactions:
Re: A bit of bother with paint colour.

Post by Sunnyday » Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:52 pm

Ok, an update for those interested Rs bikepaint are mailing out a colour chip to check against my wistiria blue they suspect the paint might have been made up wrongly.

Fingers crossed for an easy solution.

Foxy400
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC35 NC29 Bonneville CBR600F4i

Post by Foxy400 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:32 pm

I have had paint from RS on different occasions, which was supposed to be the same shade of white. It wasn't. Despite giving them the same paint code each time (it's the RVF white) it turned out a slightly different shade once applied and dried. You can't really tell unless two panels are next to each other and in daylight, then you can spot the difference. Slightly annoying. Fortunately no-one else has spotted it but I know it's not quite right.

Sunnyday
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Sunnyday » Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:37 pm

I see, part of me wonders if the tank and fairings have both faded over the last 15 years - the tanks is mint and all original paintwork, anyway the colour chip will tell me the full story. Like you i dont want the blues being noticably different i could not live with it i am OCD i suppose you are with your best toy.

Cheers mate.

MadMotoUK
Familiar Member
Reactions:
Bike owned: FZR400,600, CBR893

Post by MadMotoUK » Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:52 pm

That's the problem with ordering paints online, the supplier can only go by factory code. They cannot take into account wear and tear/fading/etc. to come up with a perfect match.

I've always found the best bet is to take the panels you want to match into the supplier and they can mix it to suit on the spot.

One thing to bear in mind though is that the perceivable colour will change every so slightly once a lacquer coat is applied.

Sunnyday
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Sunnyday » Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:56 am

An update guys, RS Paints sent me a paint chip which is the same colour as the fuel tank and so the tin they made up for me was a bum one, they are sending me a replacement out foc plus other bits i will need so i can get it sorted and boxed back up again. I have been busy Nickle plating various fastners for a factory look it will be sharp when its all done.

Happy ending.

Foxy400
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC35 NC29 Bonneville CBR600F4i

Post by Foxy400 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:39 pm

MadMotoUK wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:52 pm
That's the problem with ordering paints online, the supplier can only go by factory code. They cannot take into account wear and tear/fading/etc. to come up with a perfect match.

I've always found the best bet is to take the panels you want to match into the supplier and they can mix it to suit on the spot.

One thing to bear in mind though is that the perceivable colour will change every so slightly once a lacquer coat is applied.
I agree with you on this. The chap painting a couple of RVF panels for me was using an older panel (of mine) to get the decals correctly positioned. He contacted me to say the paint from RS was a slightly different shade of white. He matched the paint from the older panel and did it again. He said that was far better than relying on paint codes. Lesson learnt (or is that learned?).