Storing the bike over winter.

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
Sunnyday
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: UK NC30 17" Rear.
Storing the bike over winter.

Post by Sunnyday » Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:47 pm

Hi guys & dolls,

The age old old questions and what do you do...

I have drained the 10 week old old fuel out the NC30 and treated 5 ltrs of fresh with a fuel stabilizer ran the bike up for 15 mins or so then turned the tap off untill it stopped and so emptied the bowls to a degree. Should i leave the bowls full with stabilized fuel or leave it as i have done so far, i am also tempted to fire the bike up every 4 weeks or so to move the fuel i know its allegidly not a good idea but is it the better of two evils. My bike is running absolutley spot on after a proper carb clean and balance and i want to get on it next year for it to be the exatly same. The modern fuels of today are laced with ethanol which attacts water and so does the damage to your intricate bits and the tanks itself.

I have done the obvious oil changed around 100 miles ago, new brake fluids, sprayed with muck off protectant were applicable its on stands front and back has a cover and have a optimate to top up every two weeks or so when i think on. i just dont want to have to take the carbs back off it.

What do you do?

cheers all.

cbr400rrn
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC29 CBR600F
Re: Storing the bike over winter.

Post by cbr400rrn » Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:27 pm

You have done everything i would do. Everyone will have their own way of storing their bikes.
Mine is draining all the fuel out completely from carbs and tank and never running the bike until i am ready to put fresh fuel in come next spring.
Always left on optimate.
Bikes are always garaged (heated with an electric tubular greenhouse heater) with a thin breathable cover.

See, I like to go way over the top and there's probably more that i do of which i've forgotten to mention.

Kenthammer
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: 92 NC30 & 94 CBR900RRR

Post by Kenthammer » Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:49 pm

I stick a tankful of Esso supreme in, no ethanol, Honda fuel stabiliser, run it and leave it on the optimate all winter.

Always brimmed the tank, so that no rust can form internally, maybe BS but always done it that way and no issues.

Bike sits up on paddock stands to take pressure off of tyres. Fresh oil and filter to get rid of as many contaminates in the sump as possible.

cbr400rrn
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC29 CBR600F

Post by cbr400rrn » Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:20 pm

https://www.esso.co.uk/en-gb/fuels-faqs

What is the ethanol content of your fuels?
The majority of unleaded 95 Octane petrol sold in the UK contains up to 5% ethanol as required under the Government’s Renewable Transport Fuels Obligation (RTFO).

There is currently no requirement for renewable fuel (such as ethanol) to be present in super unleaded (97 and 99 grade petrol).

Esso super unleaded petrol (Synergy Supreme+ Unleaded 97 and Synergy Supreme+ 99 ) is ethanol free (except in Devon, Cornwall, the Teesside area, Scotland and NW England). We would therefore advise anyone who has concerns about the presence of ethanol in petrol to use Synergy Supreme+ – providing they do not fill up in Devon or Cornwall, the Teesside area, Scotland or NW England. The European standard BS EN228 covers the requirements for 0-5% ethanol unleaded petrol, the labelling requirement for zero % ethanol is E5 (as is up to 5%), a E0 label doesn’t exist. We understand that this is confusing if you are looking for zero % ethanol fuel, but as advised we can confirm that our Supreme Unleaded fuel supplied in areas except those listed (Devon, Cornwall, Teeside, Scotland and NW England) is ethanol free.

Sunnyday
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: UK NC30 17" Rear.

Post by Sunnyday » Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:12 pm

Sadly i am in Teesside and so cannot avoid Ethanol i was aware of Synergy being the lowest content i could get my hands on. There is some interesting articles on youtube showing real world tests and actual ethanol contents in fuels.

All the best guys & dolls.

MadMotoUK
Familiar Member
Reactions:
Bike owned: FZR400,600, CBR893

Post by MadMotoUK » Sat Dec 26, 2020 7:47 am

P

MadMotoUK
Familiar Member
Reactions:
Bike owned: FZR400,600, CBR893

Post by MadMotoUK » Sat Dec 26, 2020 7:57 am

Personally I don't bother with fuel stabilisers. For short term lay ups, I just brim the tank right to the filler cap.
Any lay up over 6 months I drain the fuel system completely. Other than that, I put the bikes on front and rear paddock stands, plug the exhaust, put a silica gel bag under the seat near the electrics and pop the calipers off & bag them with a silica gel pod inside (not disconnected) and cable tie them up.

Foxy400
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC35 NC29 Bonneville CBR600F4i

Post by Foxy400 » Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:23 pm

I actually use my bikes whenever the weather allows and even during Dec/Jan/Feb we still get a surprising number of sunny (but cold) days. My bikes get moved around in the garage a lot so don't need to be left on paddock stands. Both Hondas have had their tanks professionally lined, following problems with rust, and so far so good. Shell V+ is my fuel of choice. All my bikes are on Optimates full time when not on the road. What I wouldn't do is start the bike every few weeks if it wasn't going out on the road. Graeme France advised against this and he knows his onions..and his Honda 400's.