Getting nc30 carbs back in insulator rubbers

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
eeriedess
Settled in member
Reactions:
Getting nc30 carbs back in insulator rubbers

Post by eeriedess » Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:43 pm

Hey Guys-- well I got really brave and did a valve shim job on my nc30--never again--freakin nightmare-- had to buy two more sets of 32 blade feelers to check initial clearance cos readings are so small and some rare earth magnets so that a "pinged" shim did not go exploring the sump oil area!! well if you`ve done this job I don't have to go any further-- ANYWAY----.NOW I have removed the carb set before-- split them apart removed all old o rings seals etc and replaced same with VITON SEAL SET. AND REASSEMBLED CARB SET--- ANOTHER NIGHTMARE FITTING THEM BACK TOGETHER WITHOUT SOMEONE TO HELP AND HOLD 4 CARBS !! Where was I--oh yes followed the manual this time and attached the inlet insulator rubbers to the inlet ports (unlike my cbr400 where you fit to the carbs to attach to the engine) and I have done everything but jump up and down on the carb set to get them to go in the insulators----- on and of between coffee for a whole afternoon with really slack clips and IPA to moisten rubber openings but they just refuse to enter.
IS THERE SOME SMART GUY OUT THERE THAT HAS A SECRET TRICK TO GET THESE CARBS ATTACHED WITHOUT RISKING A HEART ATTACK?? I`M 76 AND PROB LINING MYSELF UP FOR ONE IF I KEEP DOING WHAT I`M DOING!!
I hear you say why don't you attach the rubbers to the carbs instead as it worked for you the last time ?? Well that's my next move tomorrow but if the easier way is the method in the manual(mine is a genuine and not a Haynes)why is it such a PITA without a result.HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELP SOMEONE PLEASE
COL

Suzuki416
Familiar Member
Reactions:
Bike owned: 3 x NC35, 3x NC24, NC29, RC46
Re: Getting nc30 carbs back in insulator rubbers

Post by Suzuki416 » Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:56 am

really easy.
1. if your insulators are really hard then stick them in hot water (NOT BOILING) for 10 mins.
2. I attach them to the carbs - ensuring the clips are located correctly
3. Lube them, - i use red rubber grease - you only need a smear.
4. If they are then still hard get the hairdryer on them.

Not pliable insulators are a bitch. If all fails you can get them from rick oliver.

eeriedess
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by eeriedess » Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:45 am

Hi there thanks for the reply--No the rubbers aren`t hard although in this weather they are cold--replaced them last year--the old ones you could break windows with!!!
I thought about using my Castrol red grease but thought rubbers may not seal properly and suck air when running but today will go along with you and mount the rubbers to the carbs(opposite to what the manual says!!) warm the rubbers with my hot air blower add a smear of red grease and use every swearword I know and pray to everything open on a Sunday and await the result.I`ll post you the outcome which I hope will be positive.
N.B I like Rick`s offering but how can he supply OEM rubbers when they have not been available for more than 5 years hmmm ?

eeriedess
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by eeriedess » Tue Nov 10, 2020 4:08 pm

Finally carbs are back on !!!! had 5 attempts at it and the gamechanger was using an 18 inch length of 4 x 1 timber to lever the front carbs backwards and down on the vac dash pots using the horizontal cross tube inside the frame rails to finally feel the rubbers seated.
The next hurdle is to see if the engine will fire after doing the valve shim job(hard to think positively lately) and I have made one mistake in reffiting the carbs---- I machined up some permanently fitted brass tubes with end caps to make synchronising the carbs(oh boy the next job I have to do--have to make sure I have a supply of burn cream!!) possible without removing the carbs again and yes your right in my anxiety of trying to get the carbs fitted I forgot to install them before putting the carbs on,-- they are now keeping a space warm in my tool drawer--what a plank.

eeriedess
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by eeriedess » Tue Nov 10, 2020 4:09 pm

Finally carbs are back on !!!! had 5 attempts at it and the gamechanger was using an 18 inch length of 4 x 1 timber to lever the front carbs backwards and down on the vac dash pots using the horizontal cross tube inside the frame rails to finally feel the rubbers seated.
The next hurdle is to see if the engine will fire after doing the valve shim job(hard to think positively lately) and I have made one mistake in reffiting the carbs---- I machined up some permanently fitted brass tubes with end caps to make synchronising the carbs(oh boy the next job I have to do--have to make sure I have a supply of burn cream!!) possible without removing the carbs again and yes your right in my anxiety of trying to get the carbs fitted I forgot to install them before putting the carbs on,-- they are now keeping a space warm in my tool drawer--what a plank.

CMSMJ1
Moderators
Moderators
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC30-No9

Post by CMSMJ1 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:06 am

Good work Centurion!

RVF rubbers are also miles nicer to use than NC30 ones.. but you've sorted it now. It is a satisfying moment and one we've all had to deal with :)
IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM

The V4 is the law..

NC30 - No9 - my old mate

Suzuki416
Familiar Member
Reactions:

Post by Suzuki416 » Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:29 pm

Adjusting the carbs is really easy with out burning yourself. Get the correct tool.

http://www.carbtune.co.uk/bevel.html

Also he sells the permanent adapters.

You want it easy - this is the way.

You can fit the adaptors without removing the carbs - its just a little fiddly... I attach a length of hose to them and use that to get it snug. Then pull off the hose & tighten with a spanner. Don't forget to put the caps on..

FYI, we have all burnt our hands.

Kenthammer
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: 92 NC30 & 94 CBR900RRR

Post by Kenthammer » Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:18 pm

Suzuki416 wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:29 pm
Adjusting the carbs is really easy with out burning yourself. Get the correct tool.

http://www.carbtune.co.uk/bevel.html

Also he sells the permanent adapters.

You want it easy - this is the way.

You can fit the adaptors without removing the carbs - its just a little fiddly... I attach a length of hose to them and use that to get it snug. Then pull off the hose & tighten with a spanner. Don't forget to put the caps on..

FYI, we have all burnt our hands.
Is it the 5mm adapters for the NC30? Thanks

Suzuki416
Familiar Member
Reactions:

Post by Suzuki416 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:12 pm

lol don't actually know as don't have a NC30... However you have the bike - see what fits in the hole and measure it.. I suspect its 5mm.. lol

Suzuki416
Familiar Member
Reactions:

Post by Suzuki416 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:12 pm

lol don't actually know as don't have a NC30... However you have the bike - see what fits in the hole and measure it.. I suspect its 5mm..