Classic Problem - VFR400 NC30 No power under acceleration

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
DavidM89
Settled in member
Reactions:
Classic Problem - VFR400 NC30 No power under acceleration

Post by DavidM89 » Sun Aug 30, 2020 2:33 pm

So under acceleration upto 6-7000rpm the bike chugs along with no power, after 7000rpm the acceleration smooths out but accelerates very slowly.

By chugs i mean, rough acceleration, front end vibration, no power.

The idle is rough once off the choke and bounces about 1000rpm. I reckon this is an air leak in the carb rubbers as i have sprayed carb cleaner whilst it is idling and the revs raise significantly. Front rubbers are new OEM and rear are new Non OEM. so will replace the rear ones with new OEM ones

Would the air leak in the carb rubbers cause the extreme loss of power?

Everything that needs replaced, tested and synced has been done carbs electrics etc etc all ok

Superjack44
Familiar Member
Reactions:
Bike owned: 1CB400 SF 1 VFR800 1 Moto Guzz
Re: Classic Problem - VFR400 NC30 No power under acceleration

Post by Superjack44 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:28 pm

Would the air leak in the carb rubbers cause the extreme loss of power? Possibly/probably

Before looking for problems elsewhere repair the air leak first, it will suck air before fuel.

CMSMJ1
Moderators
Moderators
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC30-No9

Post by CMSMJ1 » Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:21 am

I'd also want to be sure that the intake and airbox/filters etc are standard.

Does it rev OK in neutral? Only under load you have issues?
IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM

The V4 is the law..

NC30 - No9 - my old mate

DavidM89
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by DavidM89 » Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:44 pm

I have replaced all carb rubbers with brand new OEM ones and the carbs are seated correctly so should not be any air leaks at all now.

it hunts for the idle up and down by 500rpm and when the throttle is blipped it bogs before reving, but it revs fine after that smooth and to the redline.

The airbox is unmodified brand new hiflo air filter. Carbs were ultrasonically cleaned so are spotless, rejetted to 118 in the front and 120 in the rear for the aftermarket can. All new o-rings for the carbs too. the carbs are bench synced with advice from Rick, and the pilot screws 2 1/4 turns out.

Underload upto 6-7rpm it still chugs with the like a vibration front end then after 7rpm it's smooth.

Also it is reluctant to start after it dies or you switch it off, after 15-20 mins it will start again though.

magg
Reactions:
Bike owned: VFR400

Post by magg » Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:43 am

Fuel flows freely from tank?

Suzuki416
Familiar Member
Reactions:
Bike owned: 3 x NC35, 3x NC24, NC29, RC46

Post by Suzuki416 » Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:43 am

I'd suggest the carbs need to come off again.

The fact is the intake rubbers have to be positioned in a certain way to ensure they sit correctly. If by spraying wd at them you get the idle to change tells me they are not.

Dumb question.. Do the headers heat up at the same speed..
Start from cold bike, using a hand pump dispenser just spray each header with water at the same point. you should get the same 'hiss'....
If not, first pull that plug..

DavidM89
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by DavidM89 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:13 pm

So Update.

I had the VFR racing last weekend and after another late night chasing my tail it's running alot better. Well power wise it pulls as it should. The spade connectors that connected to the coils from the loom needed pressed together as they were pretty loose and a new set of plugs and boom pulls like a train.

Still struggling with starting when cold and also still hunts the idle (probably just a syncing issue. I also noticed during the end of races it struggled on the power and would go back to it's old ways of not pulling on acceleration power. I thought this was a fuel issue as it only happened 2nd half of the race so ran a full tank and it still did the same. I will do the fuel tap mod to see if this will help.