Expected total loss battery life time?

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
mrj666
One Hit Wonder
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC30
Expected total loss battery life time?

Post by mrj666 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:50 am

I'm converting my NC30 into a daylight MOT / track day bike.
Does anyone have a feel for roughly how long a stock(ish) AGM battery would last in a total loss setup?
At the moment I'm only toying with the idea, but if it can't even do a few 20min track sessions there's no point is there?!

Foxy400
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC35 NC29 Bonneville CBR600F4i
Re: Expected total loss battery life time?

Post by Foxy400 » Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:22 pm

You might be better off posting this in the Rideouts, Trackdays & Events section. That's where the racing fraternity sometimes browse.

magg
Reactions:
Bike owned: VFR400

Post by magg » Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:41 am

You could remove the ignition fuse and place your multimeter across the fuse terminals, set to 10Amp range, and measure the current when the engine is running at various rpm. Divide the battery Ah rating by the current to give the hours, although I would halve the duration again to be sure as the age and state of charge of the battery will also effect the true capacity of the battery.

CMSMJ1
Moderators
Moderators
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC30-No9

Post by CMSMJ1 » Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:54 am

I would assume that you are going to be runnign tyre warmers? and if so, run an optimate and charge it between sessions,

also wise to have an (anderson?) connector for use of a jump batter when starting it up - that is what takes the edge off the battery.

Any bike without charging would make a shite daytime MOT bike...so make a decision - total loss feels lovely but it is a ballache. I;d not bother for casual TD or for wanting to ever ride on the road again
IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM

The V4 is the law..

NC30 - No9 - my old mate

rossooz70
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: TZ250, RS125, VFR400, RGV250

Post by rossooz70 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:23 am

I'm running total loss on a track bike and I would get about 3 to 4 15min sessions out of the standard gel cell battery before wanting to recharge. Bike will start to missfire at high rpm is a warning sign battery cant supply the current/voltage needed and needs recharging. I've now swapped out the gel cell for a LiFe based battery, runs all day, 7 sessions plus easy. I also run a cheap ebay digital voltmeter on the bike to keep an eye on the voltage level. All that being said, I have only keep the total loss system because I bought the bike in that configuration. I would not recommend running total loss, its very little gain IMO, just a more problems potentially.

DannoXYZ
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by DannoXYZ » Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:34 am

Yeah, minimal gains. You’d have better weight-loss by removing battery and just do push-starts