Fork protrusion vfr

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
payneo
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: Vfr 400
Fork protrusion vfr

Post by payneo » Sun May 31, 2020 2:58 pm

Can anyone help me how much should my forks protrude out of the top yoke on my vfr and what difference does it make if you have them protruding more to the handling

magg
Reactions:
Bike owned: VFR400
Re: Fork protrusion vfr

Post by magg » Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:03 am

There is a machined groove in each leg that should contain a ring to stop the legs from passing through the top triple clamp. Sliding the forks through further than the ring will speed up the steering which could reduce stability when taken to extreme.

Google search will find the type numbers from various manufactures and they are all expensive. Rick Oliver may be able to help.

youngmoore
Settled in member
Reactions:
Re: Fork protrusion vfr

Post by youngmoore » Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:39 am

When I use to race I use to lower the forks 5 to 10mm depending on track. For street stock or 5mm up is more than enough. The NC30 chassis is pretty sensitive . A fork brace makes a huge difference as well. These settings are for stock height rear shock so if you have raised your rear ride height this will throw off the settings making them extreme I have no idea if you will ever read this since its so old but maybe other will benefit from it.

good luck