Removing NC30 Needle Jets

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
Vincent
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: '89 NC30 T1, '92 NC30 T8
Removing NC30 Needle Jets

Post by Vincent » Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:12 am

Long story short: The needle jets (the brass body that the needle seats into) in my carbs are pretty badly ovalled and I have been trying to come up with a solution for awhile that doesn't involve just replacing the carbs.
I've managed to find a set of individual carb bodies locally that have excellent condition needle jets in them and I have heard that it's possible to knock them out of the carb body with a hammer and a wooden drift.
I'd like to knock the good needle jets out of these carb bodies and swap them with the ovalled carb bodies that are in my current carb bank.

Before I give this a go, I thought I'd ask if anybody has done this successfully, and if there was any damage to the carb body.

decngb
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC21, NC24, NC30, VFR800, MC19
Re: Removing NC30 Needle Jets

Post by decngb » Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:32 am

Just me, but I suspect I'm the one you heard about it from the Facebook group. The only other mention I've seen of making this kind of change was for some dirt bikes. As I mentioned in the Facebook thread, I tried the seats that came with the Chinese rebuild kits. They were MUCH worse. I put the originals back in, checked and re-cleaned everything else, and now the bike runs pretty good.

I did put the seats in the freezer for a coupe of hours before putting installing them. It really didn't take much force to push them in or out, so this probably didn't change anything. It doesn't help for removal since the aluminum carb body will shrink more than the brass seat, so it would be a tighter fit.

Vincent
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: '89 NC30 T1, '92 NC30 T8
Re: Removing NC30 Needle Jets

Post by Vincent » Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:37 am

Yep that was my on the facebook group. I managed to successfully swap the jet over, it was easier than expected. Was a bit tricky making sure that the openings lined up properly but I got it there in the end. Someone really needs to machine up and sell some replacement needle jets...