Brake upgrade

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
mattydrvf
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: Rvf baby
Brake upgrade

Post by mattydrvf » Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:53 pm

Hey guys, looking to upgrade the front brakes on my nc35. At the moment she is completely standard. I did a trackday on her last month and felt the brakes are very poor so want to upgrade. What are peoples choices of master cylinders and calipers?

Vincent
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: '89 NC30 T1, '92 NC30 T8
Re: Brake upgrade

Post by Vincent » Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:22 pm

You shouldn't need to upgrade the brakes, anything more than factory is overkill. Are they in good condition? Good pads? Pistons clean?

dazmoto
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by dazmoto » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:36 am

Cbr600 fi caliper they have a bigger piston 34mm and 32mm sbs duel carbon pads but they don’t like rain and any 19mm master cylinder. Get a brembo 19 20 is u got the cash and braided lines both from master cylinder about the best set up Iv tried

mattydrvf
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: Rvf baby

Post by mattydrvf » Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:46 pm

Are the cbr calipers a direct fit then?

dazmoto
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by dazmoto » Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:21 pm

If u have rvf400 then they go straight on 1999 until 2002 I think. if u are just doing track days u could just get a 17mm radial brembo and keep the rvf calipers U probably won’t notice the difference

NGneer
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: x3 NC30,Matchless G80s AJS16ms

Post by NGneer » Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:01 pm

Vincent wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:22 pm
You shouldn't need to upgrade the brakes, anything more than factory is overkill. Are they in good condition? Good pads? Pistons clean?
:plus: What he said.

Matty, if you feel your brakes are "poor" I would suggest a full Service of the callipers (new seals, polish Pistons, new fluid and bleed). If you do that, which is also the cheaper, quicker and easier option, I strongly suspect you will be suitably impressed with a "refreshed" standard set up. If not you can always go down the more exotic/expensive route later.

All mine are standard and on the track I can easily get the rear wheel 'floating' as I am braking for the Corner at the end of the straight at Cadwell. Who needs anything more :peace:

TTMARacing
One Hit Wonder
Reactions:

Post by TTMARacing » Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:09 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the calipers the same as a 929 blade?

ArizonaRVF
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: 1994 RVF400R

Post by ArizonaRVF » Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:39 pm

Original condition

Vapor blasted, complete rebuild, brembo res, custom bracket

Original front caliper condition

Bead Blast and powdercoated, new OEM seals and Titan Classics Ti pistons, bleeder, etc, EPFA pads, HEL stainless lines

Rear caliper and master vapor blasted, full rebuild, Titan Classics Ti pistons, bleeder, etc, OEM seals and rubbers, Tyga Res, HEL Stainless line

Motul RBF600 brake fluid. They work pretty damn good. Careful attention to detail, assembly and bleeding and the stock stuff works excellent.