Brake Caliper Help

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
sharkie
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: RVF400
Brake Caliper Help

Post by sharkie » Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:29 pm

Can anyone tell me if the bolt that is holding the pads in usually looks like this?

https://imgur.com/a/niTxYPd

I can't seem to unscrew it without stripping the head so my only other option would be to soak it in WD40 for a while?

Any help would be appreciated thanks.

magg
Reactions:
Bike owned: VFR400
Re: Brake Caliper Help

Post by magg » Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:59 pm

Picture is lock nut cap. There is an allen key head underneath. I just used whatever method works (a punch and hammer) to remove it and did not bother to replace it. You will most likely find the pin is also difficult to remove. I also had to replace a pin, as the head was damaged trying to get it out. I now regularly remove and grease them to ensure easy removal in the future.

sharkie
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: RVF400

Post by sharkie » Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:44 am

Thanks... Will have to drill it out when I can get access to a drill I think. Can't punch it with what I have or grab it with pliers. Need to see what condition the pistons are in too... hoping they're okay.

Faxe400
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: VFR400RH, VF1000RG

Post by Faxe400 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:32 am

I was in trouble with that allen key had. I drilled out very little and pressed im a Torx Bit. There you could apply enough force to loosen the screw.

My Suggestion would be: try it with oil. If you drill a hole put oil inside (to work on both sides. Try to press in an Torx to have more force.

I press my thumbs for the srew underneath! You may buy cheap M10x1 srew tap from China to rework the screw thread ;) When assembling use some copper paste to prevent this happen again.

Axel