NC30 Neutral Switch removal help

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
goose400
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: CBR 400RR / VFR 400R
NC30 Neutral Switch removal help

Post by goose400 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:28 pm

Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum and just a new owner of a VFR 400R.

I'm planning on removing a faulty neutral switch from my NC30.
I have been looking everywhere and I can't find any comments regarding the replacement of the switch.
My neutral light is going on and off and after checking all the connections, it looks like the switch may be the problem. On top of that, it's leaking oil from around the switch.
Should I expect oil coming out from the switch hole when I remove it?

Thank you in advance.

NGneer
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: x3 NC30,Matchless G80s AJS16ms
Re: NC30 Neutral Switch removal help

Post by NGneer » Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:38 am

Welcome to the 400 fraternity.

If the bulb is flickering it could well be the actual bulb fitting into the holder that goes into the clock cluster (they are not the best design and some have seen much abuse over the years). It could be worth checking before your dig deeper, however as you say the engine is leaking oil past the neutral switch it would seem to make sense to remove it, and change it, to fix the leak if nothing else. Yes you would get oil coming out if you remove the switch but you can solve that by just undoing the sump plug first and draining the engine oil. Make sure you have a new sealing washer (part no 90443MB0000) to go with your replacement switch.

If this is the first time you have changed the oil on the bike since you got it, it would also be worth doing an oil and filter change at the same time (with some decent 10/40 semi synth oil) so at least you know what is in it and when it was done.

goose400
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by goose400 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:42 pm

Thank you very much, that is the answer I was looking for.
Yes, It's a great idea to do the oil and filter at the same time.
I will test the light bulb in the holder. The interesting part is that when the light goes off, the bike will not start. and it's my understanding that if is just the bulb , the bike functionary should not be affected and it should start even with the light off?

NGneer
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: x3 NC30,Matchless G80s AJS16ms

Post by NGneer » Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:47 pm

When the light is off does the bike start, or at least crank over, when you hold the clutch in?

Caveat - I am actually at work so can't check this on my bikes, so happy to be corrected by anyone else who is curently nearer a bike

I think when the neutral Switch is not 'made' (IE no neutral light) it inhibits the starter circuit to prevent you inadvertantly try to start the bike whilst it is in gear. Pulling the cluch overides this and allows you to start the engine even though it is in gear.

If pulling the clutch when your neutral light is out (but the bike is in neutral) does let it start, it would add weight to the sugestion that the neutral switch, or associated wiring, may be worn/intermitant and is sending an "in gear", or is at least not sending the required "In Neutral" Signal to the rest of the system.

:rocks:

goose400
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by goose400 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:33 pm

Yes, I can get the bike to start when the light is off, but the bike is in neutral and I holding the clutch.
I'm waiting for the neutral switch to arrive. I will post an update as soon as I get it.
Thanks.