NC35 track bike help

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
alrsv1
Settled in member
Reactions:
NC35 track bike help

Post by alrsv1 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:39 am

Image20131213_162012 by Al Paterson, on Flickr

Hi all, I got this NC35 track bike from someone who didn't really know what had been done to it. Someone put a bit of effort into it though.
From the outside I could see its got aftermarket radiators with no fan, Samco hoses, Tyga bodykit, Tyga exhuast (not sure if its full system or 3/4), HRC rear reservoir kit, braided brake hoses and I put new EBC discs and pads on it.

I did a handful of trackdays on it and it ran fine and pulled well, no idea of hp but seemed decent. Anyway, due to running a business it sat idle for 4 years and now I'm about to start using it again so I thought I'd clean out the carbs as I was sure they'd be gummed up.

They sure were... and I have a couple of questions about he way its been set up.

First, and most worrying when I removed the mixture screws 2 of them were missing the needles, this cannot be good.
They were in a horrible state so not sure if they have rotted away or are still stuck in there.
I tried squirting carb cleaner and compressed air in the hole and it seems to come out the other side, but hard to say if it's the same amount as the others.
Any suggestions of the best way to tackle this?

ImageIMAG0140 by Al Paterson, on Flickr

Assuming I get that sorted, this is what I found when I took things apart:

No airbox or tray or flap, just the exposed trumpets
Mixture screws set 2 and 1/8th turns out
mains 155
pilot 35
needles J8V8 with 2 washers no idea if the springs are HRC or standard or how one could tell
Tyga end can (can anyone tell from this photo if its likely to be a full system?)

Image20130720_123533 by Al Paterson, on Flickr

Those mains seem pretty big, and I cannot find references to these needles, so looking for some opinions on this setup and if it could
be optimised. The jets are all horrible and can't see through them so happy to buy new ones anyway if there is a better option.
I read that its not ideal to have the washed under the needle on the NC35 so curious about that as well.

Appreciate any advice and looking forward to getting back on the track, been a while! :)

Image10441321_10203122222029405_5475790426472449126_n by Al Paterson, on Flickr

CMSMJ1
Moderators
Moderators
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC30-No9
Re: NC35 track bike help

Post by CMSMJ1 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:37 pm

Looks lovely - but jeepers - you;ve some fun to be had sorting it

I'd acquire some carbs and get them on and sorted in the first instance. If you are not racing it, and the 2bhp up top doesn't matter- then get it closer to std with airbox and so on. 155s is open carbs and ballache to setup territory

the system - you can look at the rear pipes - do they go into a manifold, "stubby" or straight to the head. Looks like the same system as mine.

and welcome :)

There is a lot of historical readin - check Cammo's carb guide out. Have a look at some of the other builds - my race bike went from semi open rvf carbs with 130s to nc30 carbs, full airbox and 120s. worked so much better.
IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM

The V4 is the law..

NC30 - No9 - my old mate

alrsv1
Settled in member
Reactions:
Re: NC35 track bike help

Post by alrsv1 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:15 am

Hmmm.. I replied to this ages ago, and looks like it never appeared, weird.

Anyway, thanks for the reply. I ended up buying a second-hand set of carbs from RB as it seemed nothing was going to get those stuck screws out.

So, the new ones have been stripped, cleaned and reassembled, and using all the good bits from each I have a complete set of hopefully working carbs. :)

Based on RB's advice the setup listed above is ok, the only change is 150 mains (155 was unnecessary given the setup)

So set up now is:
No airbox
Mixture screws set 2 and 1/8th turns out
mains 150
pilot 35
J8V8 needles with 2 washers
slides drilled 2.5mm
Tyga full system

Will update when I eventually get to test it.

Have also replaced all the fluids, since its been sitting for many years, oil/filer, coolant and brake fluid.

I have a question about tyres, after sitting in a garage for 4 years, would they still be ok to use? I get conflicting info when googling.
Pirelli Supercorsas, still have plenty life in them just worried about the age.

Thanks again.....