Rear shock

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
gibbo852
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: cbr 600 vfr400nc30
Rear shock

Post by gibbo852 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:44 am

What are the recomendations on replacing my old shock! Need a new one but not one thats gna rob me 🤣

NGneer
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: x3 NC30,Matchless G80s AJS16ms
Re: Rear shock

Post by NGneer » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:17 am

Gibbo

Cheapest option is to get your existing one refurbished by someone like Brook Suspension (https://www.brooksuspension.co.uk/servi ... engine=150) or TW Suspension (https://www.twsuspensiontech.co.uk/susp ... rbishment/).
I am sure there are many more out there but for less than 150 quid you could get the whole thing refreshed and working properly again and could even uprate the spring at the same time if you area bit fond of the pies. For normal use and possibly the odd track day that should be fine but if you are planning on lots of track time you might want something different and then it is just a case of "Pay your money and take your choice" Wibbers, Hagon, YSS, Nitron, Öhlins, Hyper Pro.......etc.

People often look to the rear shock first as it is so ...visible. However if the suspension is feeling tired I would strongly suggest sorting the front out first as this will have much more effect on the bikes feel and handling. Having installed a set of stiffer springs from Rick Oliver coupled with some new seals and fresh 10w oil on my first NC30 it felt like I had transformed my bike overnight (for @ 100 quid) and it has been top of my "to do" list ever since when working on my subsequent bikes. Only one of my bikes has ever had a 'fancy' rear shock fitted (Nitron) the others were/are all OEM rear shocks and I use/used those both on the road and for track days.

gibbo852
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: cbr 600 vfr400nc30

Post by gibbo852 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:29 am

Cheers pal, not long changed fork seals and put good oil in them, didnt upgrade the springs tho! Which i may do! I will have a look at getting my rear shock refurbished, im only 5,5 and 10 n half stone so im a light weight lol

NGneer
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: x3 NC30,Matchless G80s AJS16ms

Post by NGneer » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:55 pm

gibbo852 wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:29 am
im only 5,5 and 10 n half stone so im a light weight lol
in that case a refurbed shock should shut you fine ;)