Worn loose gear lever

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
slug675
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC30 / 675SE
Worn loose gear lever

Post by slug675 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:01 pm

The gear lever on my NC30 is worn and has a lot of sideways movement on the shaft ( as has the rear brake ). A new lever is about 100 euros which is a bit rich for me. Has anyone repaired their lever? Can a bearing or bush be used? I also want to replace the rod ends. I have read somewhere that these are riveted on and can be easily replaced.

slug675
Settled in member
Reactions:
Re: Worn loose gear lever

Post by slug675 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:11 pm

Sorted most of the problems. Gear lever much better now, even getting neutral seems easier. I replaced the rod ends with new ones i got from McGill motorsports for about £17. M6 x 1mm female rod ends, one left hand and one right hand thread. They are physically slightly bigger than the originals which were completely shot, but fit. Drilled and punched out the old ones from the back then bolted on new ones with a small spacer between rod end and lever so they are as the originals.
The other part that was worn was the main step bracket. This was quite worn and was responsible for most of the sideways movement of the lever. Honda part number 50612MAS000, available still as used on many different bikes and cost around £18. There is a bush inside the lever which if replaced would probably remove even more of the movement but not got round to finding one yet. :grin:

Dynamohum
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Dynamohum » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:24 am

Well done let us know if you can source the bush for the gear lever .
I usually peel back the rubber covers and regrease the ball joints on the linkage rod which helps have multiple footrests and levers kicking around and are all worn and sloppy in same manner i would suspect its the bush that wears rather than peg .

slug675
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by slug675 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:01 pm

I would agree that the bush should wear first but on my one the bracket part had a visible groove worn into it. This probably means the bush is well past it too. I imagine the bush is a press fitting and may be a bit problematic to remove, but would only need to know the internal and external dimensions to find one on the internet. That will have to wait for a while though.
The rod ends are lined with teflon and kevlar so no need to lubricate ever again.

slug675
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by slug675 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:56 am

Dynamohum, any chance you could measure the external diameter of the bush on one of your spare levers. I only have the one lever and its attached to the bike.

Dynamohum
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Dynamohum » Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:03 am

Will dig one out at weekend.

alexandervf
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC35

Post by alexandervf » Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:05 pm

A late reply....but still a reply ;)

Bushing dimensions for brake pedal.

internal D : 17mm

Outer D : 19mm

Length : 18mm

This is what type of bushing the brake pedal has inserted,

And this is what type of bushing the gear pedal has inserted

This is something very close to what we need.

Since this is something i've been looking for as well, i have spent a good amount of time searching all over the web for a bushing replacement.
Brake pedal for starters.
Searching with the large bearing producers like SKF, KOYO, FAG, i have come to a conclusion that they do not have this type of bushing or they do not have the desired dimensions.
If someone else, has a clue to where we can source this type and dimension of bushing, may share it with us.
any other opinion is also welcome

newtothis
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: YZF R125, RVF400, Morini 3 1/2

Post by newtothis » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:04 pm

Little end bushes might be worth a look. 17 or 18mm is a normal sort of gudgeon pin size.
Possibly OHV engine rocker bushes

slug675
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by slug675 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:01 pm

http://nwb.uk.com/bearings/EGB1718-E40-Bush.html

Not quite what you wanted but its not under much stress so it may be useful. It does say catalogue suspended but might be worth an email.

dgunthor
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by dgunthor » Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:09 pm

i've got a lathe, so could make one up