NC24 fork seal replacement

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
NC24Doug
Settled in member
Reactions:
NC24 fork seal replacement

Post by NC24Doug » Tue May 01, 2018 6:37 pm

Hi

So i'm attempting to replace the fork seals, in a very much a read up and learn as you go fashion. it looked straight forward however i cannot get the bolt out of the bottom of the fork leg, it's really stiff and when i do get it moving it just spins!

i did originally try with the spring taken out, realised that was wrong so but it back together with no improvement.

any help appreciated

thanks

magg
Reactions:
Bike owned: VFR400
Re: NC24 fork seal replacement

Post by magg » Tue May 01, 2018 11:55 pm

Spring in and cap fitted press down on fork while trying to remove bolt. If still unsuccessful, an impact gun usually is the solution. Failing that, there are tools, long rods, (or make your own) that can be inserted into the fork leg and lock into the damper rod.

Suzuki416
Familiar Member
Reactions:
Bike owned: 3 x NC35, 3x NC24, NC29, RC46

Post by Suzuki416 » Wed May 02, 2018 7:42 am

Yep magg has nailed it - impact gun makes it very easy - I normally try with a T Allen key first then go straight to the impact gun.

Neosophist
Moderators
Moderators
Reactions:
Bike owned: CBR954

Post by Neosophist » Wed May 02, 2018 11:40 am

impact gun (make sure the hex is fitted probably or you can round it off and then it is a real pain.)

If you must use manual tools get a long hex key in there and get a long bar on it to give you plenty of leavarage.

Get the shock upside down and get a friend to compress the shock to put some pressure onto it to stop the bolt from spinning. A sharp crack should get it open.
xivlia wrote:i dont go fast on this bike so really do not need a rear brake.. /
vic-vtrvfr wrote:Ask xivlia for help, he's tackled just about every problem u could think of...