NC21 Rear Shock Removal/Replacement

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
decngb1
Settled in member
Reactions:
NC21 Rear Shock Removal/Replacement

Post by decngb1 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:13 am

What does it take to get the rear shock removed? I have a replacement, and I'm trying to figure out what needs to come off to get the shock out. I did it a while ago on a VFR800, and I think it comes out the bottom. Of course the NC21 is completely different, but it looks like the rear half of the exhaust must be removed.

Has anyone done this lately?

Neosophist
Moderators
Moderators
Reactions:
Bike owned: CBR954
Re: NC21 Rear Shock Removal/Replacement

Post by Neosophist » Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:14 pm

the link pipe doesnt need to be removed if i remeber.. as for the collectorbox the engine has to come out as its one piece.

last one i took off i think i just removed the shock only..

It comes out just like the other vfrs do, just unbolt teh remote adjuster from the frame first then remove the top and bottom bolts.. you might need somebody to hold the back up (take the weight off it) to get the bolt out and do the same with the lower bolt that goes to the tri link and it just comes off.
xivlia wrote:i dont go fast on this bike so really do not need a rear brake.. /
vic-vtrvfr wrote:Ask xivlia for help, he's tackled just about every problem u could think of...

Neosophist
Moderators
Moderators
Reactions:

Post by Neosophist » Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:17 pm

ill go dig the service manual out and post it up...
vic-vtrvfr wrote:Ask xivlia for help, he's tackled just about every problem u could think of...

Neosophist
Moderators
Moderators
Reactions:

Post by Neosophist » Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:30 pm

ok its easy.

jack frame up to raise wheel

remove lower side cowls.

remove the bolt on the preload adjuster

remove the left side lower cowel stay as it blocks the shock

remove the two nuts from the dogbone (pivot arm) and rmoeve the bolts, this gives access to the lower bolt on the shock.

remove shock lower bolt then upper bolt, lift up the rear wheel to help get the shock out..

it says to be careful of scratching the exhaust with the lower shock part when you remove it

decngb1
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by decngb1 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:02 pm

Thanks! I’ll get it done this weekend.

decngb1
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by decngb1 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:02 pm

Thanks! I’ll get it done this weekend.

decngb1
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by decngb1 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:27 pm

The forward bolt on the lower dogbone does not want to come out. The nut came off just fine, and the bolt rotates. It just won't slide out. There must be something I'm missing to get past this part.

I can lift the dogbone out of the way to get the lower shock bolt out, but I'm sure there isn't enough room to remove the shock without removing the dogbone.

decngb1
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by decngb1 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:44 pm

I have removed the bolt from the top and bottom of the shock, but there doesn't appear to be any way to get the shock out without first removing the dogbones. Has anyone had trouble removing the front bolt on the dogbone? I tried beating on a block of wood against the bolt - it broke the wood. I tried a woodworking clamp (the only one I could fit in there) and it bent the clamp. The bolt won't slide out.

decngb1
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by decngb1 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:32 am

We got the dogbone out. It turns out it was slightly rusted to the sleeve it goes through. The sleeve rotates on the bearings - that's why the bolt was able to rotate. In any case, removing the kickstand makes lining up a block of wood against the dogbone bolt much easier. I also had it soaking in penetrating oil overnight. With the wood lined up and a few good smacks of the hammer, the bolt came out.

It's all buttoned up with the new Hagon shock installed and my kid just took it for a test ride.

Neosophist
Moderators
Moderators
Reactions:

Post by Neosophist » Tue May 01, 2018 11:34 am

Aweosme stuff... :D ah it was rusted in! Explains why it was a pain in the arse to get it out.. i thought id wrote that after removing the nuts and bolts the dogbone comes off... sorry if it wasnt clear! Anyway.. well done!

any feedback about the hagon shock?