CLUTCH ISSUES, slips. feels lumpy cable gets tight then loose

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
Mat400
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC30
CLUTCH ISSUES, slips. feels lumpy cable gets tight then loose

Post by Mat400 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:42 am

Good Day All.

I recently replaced my clutch as it was slipping like mad, it would slip when the oil was cold and start catching when it warmed up.
After measuring the friction plates, they were below spec.

I replaced them with brand new clutch plates and had the metal plates sandblasted and had everything reinstalled.(friction plates measured with a micrometer all in spec). The housing and diaphragm springs were put back in unchanged.

My father did the work and has done countless installs on these motors, he was following the haynes manual so I dont think there was a single step missed. My brother has two NC35 race bikes that he maintains.

What im dealing with now is that the clutch slips when it comes into power (when i start riding the bike). Pulling away (feathering the clutch) the clutch feels lumpy as if the plates are catching and slipping continuously as the clutch housing is spinning. The cable is at its maximum extention, so there is no more room to adjust the cable (tighter), sometimes when it start slipping ill adjust it (loosen the cable adding more slack) on the fly so I can change gears and get it into neutral and then sometimes that would make it too tight and get the slipping again. I have another clutch cable that i keep as a backup and those two cables are exactly the same length, so my cable is not stretched.

I am pulling my hair out with this problem, if there is one place that could help its here.

I will log in momentarily to answer any questions that get posted on this thread.

Any advice is greatly appreciated here.

Thanks all.

magg
Reactions:
Bike owned: VFR400
Re: CLUTCH ISSUES, slips. feels lumpy cable gets tight then loose

Post by magg » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:28 pm

The OEM service manual on this site might provide additional info. Diaphragm springs within spec?

Mat400
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Mat400 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:02 am

So i figured out the problem. I am so glad this is finally sorted!

It looks like the top part of the basket had started to wear between the grooves.

So what was happening was the clutch was getting caught on the ridge and not allowing the clutch to completely engauge.

I replaced the top basket and it resolved the issue.

I just thought i would update this thread incase any one else has the same issue.

slug675
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC30 / 675SE

Post by slug675 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:23 pm

Was it a used basket or did you manage to find a new one?

Mat400
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Mat400 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:18 am

I managed to find a basket in my spares that was in a far better condition. I also filed the basket to get rid of the ridges.