Clutch setup issue problems

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
rossooz70
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: TZ250, RS125, VFR400, RGV250
Clutch setup issue problems

Post by rossooz70 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:56 am

Howdy, hoping someone can help with a clutch rebuild problem I'm having. I've 90% completed a rebuild of my vfr400 nc30 race bike which I stripped and rebuilt over the last few months. I honestly don't know if the bike had this problem before its strip down, as I bought the bike as a non starter cheap race bike.
My problem is the amount of movement in the clutch plate lifter seems excessive before it starts to move the clutch lifter plate. Its almost like the clutch lifter rod is too short because it has to move too far to start to disengage the clutch.
The clutch cable lever and small push rod of the left side sprocket cover seems operate as per the manual but the small push rod on the sprocket cover doesn't move far enough to engage on the long rod before its runs out travel. The clutch cable lever should be operating around the 90% angle but its well past 45% before it evens starts to take up any tension.
I've triple checked the friction plate, steel plate and spring set thickness, and the assembly method as per the Haynes book plus pretty much every post on the forum about clutch issues.
Its got the 10 friction plates and 9 steel plates as per the book.
All the friction plates are between 2.91mm and 3.08, with the steel all between 1.56 and 1.59
Overall stack height is 44.45mm with ten friction and 9 steel plates

Grateful for any tips and advice

magg
Reactions:
Bike owned: VFR400
Re: Clutch setup issue problems

Post by magg » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:03 pm

Is the C clip fitted to the lifter guide that presses on the lifter plate.

rossooz70
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by rossooz70 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:45 am

ya, I have checked the c clip in place. I used the parts break down to ensure that I wasn't missing any parts. I starting to think I may have a mix of bike model parts as the bike frame is a nc30, but the carb's on the bike are from a rvf400. Maybe I have an rvf400 motor in my bike possibly? I read that the rvf400 clutch uses one less friction and steel plates and the steels are a different size as compared to the vfr version. By my math the overall stack height between versions would be less in the rvf version by 1.44mm which would seem to be a step in the right direction.
I'm getting to the point of needing to put the bike on the trailer and take it to Sydney and get the guys at RB to have a look.

rossooz70
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by rossooz70 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:00 am

Problem been sorted thxs to a phone call to the fellas at RB imports in Sydney. They confirmed the motor is a vfr400 and the clutch parts between the vfr and rfv are the same, eg the push rod same length etc. They gave me a few things to check and it turns out to be a combination of two things, one the output shaft bearing in the main engine case was not seated all the way into the case, I had not tighten up the two bolt holding the bearing retaining plate in correctly and the other thing was a small burr on the inside of the boss of the clutch basket was stopping the basket from fully seating on the output shaft bearing. Overall this meant the clutch was sitting about 2mm further out than designed.