Indicator probs & MOT fail

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
Foxy400
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC35 NC29 Bonneville CBR600F4i
Re: Indicator probs & MOT fail

Post by Foxy400 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:18 am

Yes the front are 18/5W. I know that dropping them to 15W, with 15W rear, will reduce the resistance and make them flash faster. So that's another reason why Speedy's suggestion won't work.

magg
Reactions:
Bike owned: VFR400

Post by magg » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:14 am

15w in front and rear will increase the resistance and cause the flash rate to increase. Keeping the front 18/5w and 15w rear and adding a 22 ohm resistor between the output of the relay and chassis will give a load equal to an 18/5w front and 21w rear and thus slow the flash rate.

Foxy400
Reactions:

Post by Foxy400 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:31 pm

So I got the reduce/increase resistance thing the wrong way round (bloody physics eh? You know what they say.."If it smells it's Chemistry, if it moves it's Biology and if it doesn't work it's Physics :lol: ). But I got the increased flash rate bit right. Yup, I understand your resistor suggestion. I have just this minute found a bloke on eBay selling a pile of NC35 parts and he's got the indicator relay. Better still he lives 2 miles away! So I'm gonna try that next.

Morespeedvicar
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: Fzr400, NC30, CB50J, SS50Z KLR

Post by Morespeedvicar » Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:22 am

You can get flasher units that flash at a constant rate no matter what load you put on them. Like you use when running led indicators

magg
Reactions:

Post by magg » Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:56 am

True, but Foxy400 wanted a solution that did not require removal of the seat fairing to access the flasher relay.

Foxy400
Reactions:

Post by Foxy400 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:59 pm

Still got the problem!
Removing the seat fairing is a pain in the arse, just as I knew it would be (don't forget it's Tyga not original). I cannot detach the two front lugs from their respective grommets under the fuel tank. I remember when putting it on it was a very tight fit but I wasn't expecting it to be permanent! Obviously I'm reluctant to use too much force or lever it off, just in case...

What I have managed to do is raise it at the back just enough to be able to switch the indicator relay for a genuine Honda replacement (from the bloke on eBay). Guess what? It made no difference, they still flash too fast, so the relay is not at fault. I've also been able to check connections for the rear indicators, which are fine.
So I'm stumped, what can I check now? For example, if it was a dodgy earth (or other connection) then surely the system wouldn't work properly with 21W bulbs, but it does.

To summarise (in case anyone is still following this). The indicators worked correctly (some time ago) but now they flash too fast. All 4 bulbs are the correct wattage as Honda intended and in working order. The relay is fine. All bullet connections from the indicators are solid. When the two rear 15W bulbs are swopped for 21W bulbs all 4 indicators flash at the correct rate.
So if upping the wattage sorts the problem what might be causing the problem? Bulbs..check. Relay..check. Connections..check. Why does adding an extra 12W to the system make it work properly?

As I said, I understand that adding a resistor into the circuit should sort the problem but I'm resisting (haha!) that idea because I want to find out what the problem is.

magg
Reactions:

Post by magg » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:00 pm

Given that there is a 18/5W bulb in the front indicator housing, is it possible that the bulbs have been inserted incorrectly resulting in the 5W filament acting as the indicator bulb.

Foxy400
Reactions:

Post by Foxy400 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:36 pm

Ah, an interesting idea. I don't know if it's possible to fit them the wrong way round. I would have thought it unlikely otherwise this problem would happen fairly regularly, but I shall find out.
Btw Magg, if you are right and this sorts the problem :pray: I will buy you as much beer as you can drink the next time I'm in Oz (I used to live in Hornsby, outskirts of Sydney).

magg
Reactions:

Post by magg » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:06 pm

If the intensity of the front flasher filaments is lower than the rear it would confirm that the 5W filaments are in circuit. Also you say the running lamp filaments are disconnected, are they not a requirement for an MOT? Perhaps the wiring between the running and indicator filaments have been crossed over when the running lamp filaments were disconnected.

NGneer
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: x3 NC30,Matchless G80s AJS16ms

Post by NGneer » Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:55 am

Foxy400 wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:36 pm
Btw Magg, if you are right and this sorts the problem :pray: I will buy you as much beer as you can drink the next time I'm in Oz
That is a very brave promise to make to an Aussie :popcorn: :wink:

Hope you get your problem sorted