Indicator probs & MOT fail

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
manicguitarist
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: RVF400 (NC35)
Re: Indicator probs & MOT fail

Post by manicguitarist » Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:50 pm

Well I never. Still got the original bulbs in. And yes, odd shaped 12V 15W.

I guess the better question now is, why are your flashing at an odd rate? Or has the rate not changed, just the picky MoT place?

>note<
Darn forum won't let me post the image...says it is too large...it isn't too large. Here's the pic anyways...
https://bert.hollingside.com/temp/rvf/i ... -bulb1.jpg

manicguitarist
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by manicguitarist » Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:51 pm

manicguitarist
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by manicguitarist » Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:52 pm

PS Miss November is lovely. :)

Foxy400
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC35 NC29 Bonneville CBR600F4i

Post by Foxy400 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:17 pm

When I fitted the Tyga fairing some time ago I had to remove and refit the indicators. From that point they flashed too fast - obviously I'd buggered something up. I took them off again and the wiring looked fine. Refitted and still flashed too fast. Maybe I knocked an earth out of place or moved the relay when I fitted the Tyga tail section but the Tyga kit was such a bastard to fit I was very reluctant to strip it off (yes, I'm a lazy sod sometimes). I tried my luck at the MOT station and they weren't bothered so it passed (they also ignored the too-small no.plate and said they liked bike exhausts as loud as possible..a fine bunch of chaps :grin: ). Since then it has always got through..until the new management played by the rules :( .

So before I went hunting for dodgy earths and wonky relays I thought I'd ask the original question, to which Magg supplied an answer that seemed an easy option. But so far it isn't working out that way.

I'll give Wemoto a call tomorrow.

PS. Miss July looks pretty fit ;)

Foxy400
Reactions:

Post by Foxy400 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:27 pm

Right that's enough hours spent on this forum and thanks Manic for your input and time. Maybe when I check in tomorrow someone will tell me they have a box load of the bulbs I'm looking for.
Now I'm off to repot some cacti.

Speedy
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: RVF400RR, ER6n

Post by Speedy » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:58 pm

Your RVF should have 3 wires going into each of the front indicators (dual filament bulbs, for running lights and indicators); maybe a wrong wire was connected when it wasn't supposed to be, and maybe that's what's causing the fast flash? Easy to check anyhow!
When the mind is relaxed, the body will go faster! 8-)

Speedy
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: RVF400RR, ER6n

Post by Speedy » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:30 pm

I re-read your 1st post and as you said "The '3rd' wire has been disconnected so the running lights are no longer working, although the fast-flash problem existed before I did that)) and the rear are 12V 15W."; maybe the problem is the relay itself?
I've checked the rear indicators I've got and both have the same 12v15w bulbs as yours; they are 19mm wide at the glass and 35mm long.
Did they start flashing fast, after fitting the Tyga fairings and did you change anything on the indicators; or did you simply disconnect the wires and reconnected them afters?
As a temp solution to passing the MOT; you could simply remove all 4 indicators.
When the mind is relaxed, the body will go faster! 8-)

Morespeedvicar
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: Fzr400, NC30, CB50J, SS50Z KLR

Post by Morespeedvicar » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:29 am

Think you need indicators if built after 1984/85. You'd have to remove switch too......

Morespeedvicar
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: Fzr400, NC30, CB50J, SS50Z KLR

Post by Morespeedvicar » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:33 am

This inspection applies to: all motor bicycles except those which either have no front or rear position lamps or have such lamps permanently disconnected, painted over or masked that are
• only used during daylight hours, and
• not used at times of seriously reduced visibility.

If this situation occurs the machine presenter should be issued with a VT32 (advisory notice) recording the above.

Exemptions
If direction indicators are fitted they must meet the requirements of this inspection, but need not be fitted to a machine which

• cannot exceed 30mph / 50kph, or
• was first used before 1 August 1986, or
• off road motor bicycles that are designed to carry only the rider
• off road motor bicycles with side car designed to carry the rider and one passenger in the side car.
Sorry it 1986 but wasn't far out

Foxy400
Reactions:

Post by Foxy400 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:35 am

Morespeedvicar is right, I don't think simply removing the indicators will help. When I fitted the Tyga fairing the indicators were a straightforward 'unplug and replug' job. Like I said at the start, maybe I dislodged something. Getting the Tyga one-piece tail section into place is not nearly as easy as the original panels (I went through this some time ago in the Graphics section), so I've been trying to avoid the inevitable. Looks like it's gonna have to come off :( .

Maybe someone can tell me how I'll know the relay is buggered? If the indicators are working, but flashing too fast, can the relay still be at fault?